I didn't say people aren't allowed to refer to them that way, I just think it's sad that people feel a building is completely uninteresting simply because it has a rectilinear form.

People also forget that buildings have a function and a purpose. Aesthetics are but one factor in a building's design, and one could even say that the way a building looks is always going to be (or should be) a function OF the building's function. ;)

I'm guessing we hear so much negativity about boxes because that's the predominant form towers tend to take and as such it's often a bit stale and predictable. Doubtless the box is an efficient shape and that feeds into the function/purpose thing, but at the same time buildings ought to have a modicum of inventiveness and distinction. No doubt, boxes can be extremely elegant. I'd just like to see more variety. Not necessarily the kind of variety you'd find in Dubai, mind you. It's a fine line.

I don't mind if it is a simple box design. If it is well detailed with quality construction and materials it could be a stunning minimalist building.
Though with an inexperienced and unproven developer like Carlyle Communities with no completed projects to show for, I have a fear that this building will become just another typical mediocre condo development riding the wave of the still strong condo market.

I'm agree with you, we have in our own city some excellent examples of how a "simple box" can looks attractive. That said, I would like to see more buildings in Toronto ending up with non-flat roofs. This project in particular looks like it'll be a repetition of the same aA's formula we have seen for years. I wish we could have more 1st Thomas kind of highrise architecture to balance all the recent glossy towers.

I was very much enjoying the intelligent discussion of architecture between Salsa, Modern, Lenser and Bad Bear. I am a big fan of the more "out there" towers like Absolute, L Tower, Picasso but I wonder if these towers make the floorplans less attractive, the efficiency of the building decline and the construction cost go up?

I like the simple look, Casa, U Condos, King Charlotte, Theatre Park, Peter St Condos are simple, clean lined projects that I think will still look attractive 20 years from now. It seems like the simple commercial buildings always score well at the Pug Awards.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1 St. Thomas, but the knock offs like Uptown by Pemberton or West Village by Tridel don't do the style much justice.

I'll wait to judge this project until the rendering is released.

Doing some searching on Carlyle and Peter Street I found these pics, Carlyle might have a partner here other than Fortress?

http://www.fdsbroker.com/fds-broker-gallery/facebook-album/806787676010401/#!prettyPhoto

Looks like we've got a project name and marketing motif which features the design shown above:
wolaKVK.jpg

Edit: Just got confirmation from the developer that this is not the final project name.

The team is clearly inspired by KCC--actually looking at BJL's Alberta projects and some recent aA projects, it's like they've got a money-making good-looking business model down
MeiPY3d.jpg

I would hope for: punched windows on a 4 storey red brick podium, transfer slab setback on pillars, followed by what Dr Streetwall calls the "hangover" balcony tower.

Then come up with a Plastique lounge kinda name: Club District Condos

Last edited:
Hmm, great news to hear about some movement on this sad little corner. But the parking lot directly south of it needs attention as well. Hopefully it's filled in sooner rather than later.

This was discussed at a Cressy-hosted pre-application consultation meeting last night. It has grown (for now) to 46s and 136.8m but that may change before the actual rezoning application is submitted. The podium is being designed to match the datum line established by Tableau to the east and, to a lesser degree, the heritage component on QRC to the north.

A picture from UT's Twitter is below:

CQlyO_SUYAAFLYj.jpg:large

clewes-peter-street-2.png
clewes-peter-street.jpg

Attachments

• clewes-peter-street-2.png
    clewes-peter-street-2.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 1,162
  • clewes-peter-street.jpg
    clewes-peter-street.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,101
Last edited by a moderator:
It's better than some of the earlier entertainment district towers but I'm not loving this. Looks like a messier 43 Gerrard. The proposal next to it is so much more elegant.

reminds me more of King Charlotte

reminds me more of King Charlotte
I like how the glazing covers the balcony edges, like King Charlotte, but I'm tired of Clewes' minimalist mindset for basically every project he designs. No doubt this will be another high quality tower, but it'll lack verve, like most of his work.

Glazing to the edge of the balconies is nice but everything else is just so boring. We are going to be just as sick of black and white by the time this gets built as we are with grey/ grey blue. Just saying.
Maybe it will grow on me. I just don't think it is as nice as its neighbours.

Sick of black and white blocking too. Definitely bland but, I can easily get over that.

Amazing balconies! such stunning architecture. So warm, so remarkable!...

In all seriousness, it has to be quite expensive to heat these glass buildings. I'd understand all of this glass in a climate like Miami, but I don't understand why we have these en masse in Toronto.

Clewes has no imagination most of the time. Ice is easily his most interesting work. He also showed a lot of creativity with his ferry terminal proposal; which was excellent. I wish more of that exuberance would be reflected in his building designs.

Back