Why would anyone want to live there, anyways? It's a nearly completely car-dependent lot with no nearby amenities. Closest grocery store is across the DVP. And I hate the architecture of it - it looks like acoustic foam. I know it's supposed to be Japanese-inspired, but it just does not work here.

Let's keep in mind that the Moriyama firm's been guilty of clumsy self-makeover in the past (the "cubeing" of the Toronto Reference entrance)

At the risk of an unpopular opinion; I love the reference library's interior, which I think was revolutionary design for its times.

But I think the exterior was always a fail; now, I don't think the cube really improved that any; while also being rather jarring to the original.
So we can agree the cube was not a brilliant choice, but I expect you may hold the original exterior in higher esteem than I.
I always found it street deadening and not very appealing; in that much, the ground-level cafe has been an improvement.

Back to the object here............I'm not a fan of his proposal on many levels; I do see the essence of inspiration here........but have concerns with the design as rendered, apart from how they do or do not
pay homage to/preserve the original.

I think it's known here that I'm not a brutalism fan; that said this may be as good an example as Toronto has, if somewhat forgotten being where it is.........

I'm not sure if I'm more taken aback by what's done to the the one-time JCCC or simply the problems w/the new design and moreso its location if that were overlooked.

Or

Is it that on the sensible input of PE, I accept that what happens here (if anything) will not be what's rendered; and if that gives me pause.............what would a KirKor version of it bring?

Perhaps that.

Last edited:
Project engagement website:

Moriyama & Teshima Architects (MTA) has been appointed to lead the re-design for One23 Wynford. The redevelopment will preserve and adapt the vacated cultural centre that was originally designed in 1963 by its co-founder, renowned architect Raymond Moriyama.

“Sixty years after Raymond first designed this incredible building to commemorate the struggle of Japanese Canadians, and never forget the dark time of our nation when internment camps were in place, he gets to have another shot at his beloved centre,” said Cohen.

One tower will be in the northwest corner of the site and the other will be in the southeast, with a significant setback from the original structure to give it prominence on the site.

The building was originally the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre before the Lakhani family acquired the space in 2003 and transformed it into the Noor Cultural Centre to represent the identity of Canadian Muslims.

Its owners made the same decision to move on from the space during COVID-19, leaving it vacant for more than a year.

Originate approached the owners about selling and the property was acquired in a $33-million off-market deal in October. Sheffer said it’s a very complicated site and all three partners have brought past experiences to the project that have proven useful.

Current design plans preserve and reincorporate the site’s most important cultural aspects into the new development, honouring the building’s roots and Japanese-inspired design.

The proposed development will incorporate existing portions of the original building in situ, while dismantling and reinstating other key features.

The surrounding parking lots that dominate the site will be dug up and re-naturalized to reaffirm the relationship with the adjoining ravine.

About half of the three-acre site located north of Eglinton Avenue East and east of the Don Valley Parkway will be reinstated as a ravine park and dedicated to the City of Toronto.

The development will also provide residents with new connections, including proposed walkable pathways linking the site with the new Crosstown LRT along Eglinton.

MTA is working alongside a team of consultants, including ERA Architects for the heritage component, Kirkor Architects and Planners for the residential tower and Plant Architect for the work on the ravine lands.

Long-term process for approvals, construction

“We just made our first submission to the city and we’re in the early stages of the process,” said Sheffer. “It’s going to be a really long process of community engagement, dealing with the ravine, dealing with heritage and dealing with the city.”

The approvals process is expected to take two to three years before shovels go into the ground. A three- to four-year construction period is expected after that.

While the developers are leaning toward building a condominium, Sheffer said that decision could change. He added the unit mix will be geared more toward families than in many other Toronto residential towers.

Regarding amenities, Sheffer said: “It’s a lot of building so we can fit in one of everything and we’re looking at all of the standard things, from a kids’ play room to a pool to a gym.

“But what’s really interesting, and not technically an amenity, is the 1.5-acre ravine park. That’s going to be the most interesting feature for the daily lives of future residents.”

We've already seen the renders here, but we now have the official app to muddle through:

Lets begin w/some stuff from the Planning Report:

1660116988776.png

1660117027076.png

1660117057319.png

Parking ratio is 0.4

Additional notes:

- Definitely a play here for MTSA status; which is referenced in the App.

- Comment: and 0.4 parking spaces; I kind of feel an MTSA should have a parking ratio cap........hmmmm

Context Plan:

1660117567883.png

Note that heights proposed here exceed any in built or approved sites to dates, it also outreaches land along Don Mills almost immediately adjacent to the Ontario Line. The precedent play here is clearly
centred around two nearby proposals not yet approved at their proposed heights.

1660117758925.png

A render we now have better copy of:

1660117970438.png

🧐

Hmmm, Building B it seems, encroaches on the standard TRCA natural feature buffer of 10M; that's a no-no.

1660118246476.png

Landscape Plan:

PLANT is the Landscape Architect here.

Soil Volume per tree is generally good; but falls below the minimum prescribed standard of 30m2 per tree for 3 of the proposed trees.

Looking at the plan list; it's pretty much entirely native; and, for the most part, quite good and even ambitious.........they propose planting 75 trilliums in the ravine...... (that gets points.); 34 more in their 'garden area'.

There are a couple of head scratchers.........Rosa blanda ' meadow rose' strikes me as an odd choice for ravine lands.

Heritage Impact Statement:

1660120291225.png

Huh............think so, do ya?

^ CONTEXT PLAN: I counted 31 or so towers (proposed and approved) between 25 storeys and 65 storeys (209m) on both sides of the DVP near Eglinton. To go along with the sixteen 25 storey to 37 storey towers already built.

Not as compact as the plans for 2150 Lake Shore (which has 16 towers overs over 25 storeys), but one day this 'cluster'... on its own... may rival many second tier downtown skylines in N.A.

I guess if you're gonna intensify it then hiring the original architect is the way to do it.

Too much parking though. There will literally be two TTC lines here in the future.

I guess if you're gonna intensify it then hiring the original architect is the way to do it.

Too much parking though. There will literally be two TTC lines here in the future.

The problem here though is that the way in which Wynford itself is laid out makes that transit far less appealing and most community services not effectively walkable.

Whether that's a school or a supermarket.

Sure, on paper, there's a giant Loblaws super-centre within walking distance.

In practice, it's down a stretch of road that could be charitably called anti-urban and unattractive; and one has to walk across the DVP as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-parking here, but I just don't see this as a good spot for residential density, as the community is currently laid out.

Show me a vision for Wynford as a 'high street' with shopping and lovely streetscapes, and with more frequent roads/mews that provide a good pedestrian connection from Wynford to Eglinton and there's room to consider this.......
but we're not there.

To me this is density that makes only sightly more sense that a 50 storey tower in the middle of a corn field.

Yes, there's going to be higher-order transit nearby, but no pleasant or convenient way to get to it.

What should be happening here is an 'H' by law on everything north-east Don Mills/Eglinton to the CP Tracks until, if we're moving to mixed-use and density here, its thoughtfully planned out in a coordinated way.

This feels so haphazard with questionable planning from one site to the next.

Last edited:
The problem here though is that the way in which Wynford itself is laid out makes that transit far less appealing and most community services not effectively walkable.

Whether that's a school or a supermarket.

Sure, on paper, there's a giant Loblaws super-centre within walking distance.

In practice, it's down a stretch of road that could be charitably called anti-urban and unattractive; and one has to walk across the DVP as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-parking here, but I just don't see this as a good spot for residential density, as the community is currently laid out.

Show me a vision for Wynford as a 'high street' with shopping and lovely streetscapes, and with more frequent roads/mews that provide a good pedestrian connection from Wynford to Eglinton and there's to consider this.......
but we're not there.

To me this is density that makes only sightly more sense that a 50 storey tower in the middle of a corn field.

Yes, there's going to be higher-order transit nearby, but no pleasant or convenient way to get to it.

What should be happening here is an 'H' by law on everything north-east Don Mills/Eglinton to the CP Tracks until, if we're moving to mixed-use and density here, its thoughtfully planned out in a coordinated way.

This feels so haphazard with questionable planning from one site to the next.
I agree that there needs to be a more comprehensive vison for this area.

Originate has teamed up with Westdale Properties and Cameron Stephens Equity Capital on a plan to redevelop a former cultural centre into 48- and 55-storey residential towers on Wynford Drive.

Moriyama & Teshima Architects has been appointed to lead the re-design for One23 Wynford.

The redevelopment will preserve and adapt the vacated cultural centre that was originally designed in 1963 by the firm's co-founder, renowned architect Raymond Moriyama.

“That's definitely our most challenging and most complicated site,” said Sheffer.

About half of the three-acre site, located north of Eglinton Avenue East and east of the Don Valley Parkway, will become a conservation area and Sheffer said it hasn’t yet been determined whether it will be owned by the developers, the city or the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.

There are also heritage elements to be considered and the approvals process is expected to be lengthy.

This one was appealed to the OLT in April.

It is the subject of an Appeals Report, recommending staff attend the OLT in opposition, headed to the next meeting of NYCC.

Of note, there was a resubmission here, immediately prior to the appeal. No change in heights.

1693504093909.png

1693504117139.png

Staff have multiple objections, some merit great credence like those below:

1693504192683.png

Others are more problematic.....(staff advocate here for a less urban, more suburban form with deep setbacks from the road and elaborate landscaping) This is not an area where 'more of the same please' is a good argument.

Last edited:

Back