AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Another Mizrahi development for the area, this time on the SW corner of Hazelton & Davenport. This includes the corner building with Hakim Optical along with the first house south along Hazelton.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3865972&isCofASearch=false

Site Plan Approval to permit a 9-storey mixed-use building with office use at grade along Hazelton Avenue and Davenport Road and residential above. The development proposes 21 residential units and 2,14.36 m2 of non-residential floor area with an overall density of 6.18 times the area of the lot. A total of 47 vehicular parking spaces and 22 bicycle parking spacs are proposed.

Here's the north end of Hazelton Avenue at Davenport from Google Street View.
126128HazeGoogMap1.jpg

Above is funky 1970s-built 128 Hazelton with Hakim Optical. Below is 126 Hazelton.

126128HazeGoogMap2.jpg

Meanwhile, at left above are two people who are wondering if they should have sold to Mizrahi.

126128HazeTorMap.jpg

Attachments

• 126128HazeGoogMap1.jpg
    126128HazeGoogMap1.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 4,849
  • 126128HazeGoogMap2.jpg
    126128HazeGoogMap2.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 4,799
  • 126128HazeTorMap.jpg
    126128HazeTorMap.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 4,501
It should be noted that 126 Hazelton is Mizrahi's office location.

I hope we don't end up with more faux-Haussmannian buildings on Davenport. Excited to see what will be built here. This area has a lot of potential and it doesn't seem to be very vibrant or welcoming at the moment.

It seems Mizrahi got the message that the other buildings were shite.

This looks rather refined. I like it. The midrise going up along Dupont and Davenport combined with their slightly wider roads may give off a Berlin-vibe in terms of street feel in a decade or so.

Much better than phases one and two... Still pretty traditional and references the proportions of the other Mizrahi buildings but this is a more appropriate style for the 21st century.

LOVE this.

I dream of 25 storey versions of this scattered throughout downtown. I'm so over the glass tower now. It's had its day here and now major parts of the city look like Vancouver and other Asian cities. They are great cities, but we don't need to look just like them. Not quite sure if we can stop the insanity but hopefully when everything south of Front St currently proposed gets built we can end the glass tower sometime after that.

Also, why are all these awesome brutalist structures being dismantled? Why are we so cheap we have to use glass so much? There's a timelessness to masonry that all-glass construction will never have.

Just look at French Quarter at Jarvis and Richmond and how well it's aging and looking like it's been there forever.

But it seems that only luxury buildings will be built like this, so maybe my hope to have these timeless masonry structures as high-rises is too wishful thinking.

More and more I'm appreciating traditional design elements, the curved facade facing onto the intersection for example. This is far more common in Europe. It's more pedestrian friendly than sharp right angles.

Very stylish. I also like Mizrahi's euro condos next door. So they are faux ...so what. They will stand the test of time vs all the floor to ceiling glass boxes that dominate currently.

I hope those corner windows get curved glass. Hard to tell from the renders. Either way, it's a handsome and understated design. Now if only we could get buildings that looked like this at a price the average buyer could afford.

Back