Not a big fan - but if they use appropriate materials it can be 'ok'. If not, it will be yet another eyesore a la Regency - luxe in the cheap.

AoD

Nothing special, but not offensive either.
It's the typical luxury stucco condos you see in the suburbs.
They are definitely targeting the older buyers with traditional tastes who don't want to live in glass boxes.

The balconies in the renders look especially deep.

I'm in the minority and don't mind this at all. Suits the area and clientele as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you ... this is a more classic building which will suit the clientele and the area context, as a glass box may not be appropriate everywhere or suit everyone

I agree with you ... this is a more classic building which will suit the clientele and the area context, as a glass box may not be appropriate everywhere or suit everyone

Agreed that said 'glass box' may not work here, but why not ask for a design which does? How does this design connect any more with the existing form/materiality of the neighbourhood, not to mention the design culture of Toronto, than something with a more transparent exterior?

OMG THAT KITCHEN!! *drools*
If that's the same materials as 1 St Thomas, this building will be a stunning gateway to North-Yorkville.

That kitchen is pure McMansion dreck. It looks like it was designed by woodworking guys and not somebody who studied design.

Pic taken Oct 29, 2011

g1BKA.jpg

I understand that there is a Phase 2 in the making.....

I remember seeing an application somewhere online for one of those empty lots along Avenue Road, south of Davenport but forgot the exact address. That might be it. A Phase 2 would also mean more faux architecture, unfortunately...

Last edited:
Is Sam Mizrahi from this org the same guy responsible for the bankruptcy of Cadet Cleaners--owned by a Sam Mizrahi about 5-10 years ago...could be this was one of his properties for years?

Yes, it seems like that is the case:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2007/07/12/dovecorp-ccaa.html?ref=rss
This guy is also responsible for the faux greek revival townhouse crap development at the corner of Lytton Blvd. and Avenue Road; and yes those are stucco! (known as EIFS in the construction industry). Don't have much hope for this one based on this background.

Last edited:
MLS listings?

-no zoning (height issues)
-no site plan approval
-environmental issues
-no condo development experience

And yet Mizrahi Khalili has units in this conceptual faux chateau listed on the MLS for $1100 PSF?

Why would any remotely sophisticated buyer purchase a unit here? Is the market really that ignorant? Someone please educate me. I have some clients looking at pre-construction units that just laugh at this strategy.

Last edited:
Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 2E4

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 317857 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Nov 29, 2011

Project: Medical/Dental Office Demolition

Description: Permit to demolish existing 3 storey medical office building in Heritage conservation district.

City Council meeting

TE13.7 131 Hazelton Avenue - Demolition of a Designated Heritage Property within the Yorkville-Hazelton Heritage Conservation District and Approval of a Replacement Structure (Ward 27)
Summary
This report recommends that City Council approve the demolition of the designated heritage property at 131 Hazelton Avenue and approve the replacement component that will be integrated within the larger development at 195 Davenport Road and 131 Hazelton Avenue. The proposed development is subject to rezoning and site plan control applications

Back