Here's a story from buzzbuzzhome from a few months ago mentioning this project.

"Toronto-based builders Carlyle Communities and CentreStone Urban Developments have purchased several Bathurst Street properties totalling approximately 8,000 square feet on the western edge of the city’s Fashion District with plans for an 18-storey residential tower on the site.

The land deal, which closed about a month ago, includes five row houses from 149 to 157 Bathurst Street.

RAW Design, which was behind Carlyle Communities’ Beach Hill Residences, currently under construction in the Upper Beaches, will also take on this project’s design, confirms Mansour. He says the high-rise development will be a “unique boutique-style development” that’s “more forward-design-esque.

Mansour also revealed it will include “give or take 150 units,” though the type of dwelling the structure will include is not yet clear. “The one thing that we haven’t fully decided is whether we’re going to go rental or condo on this project,” explains Mansour."

The ones in question aren't that nice, and some extra density and retail would be better suited for this stretch of Bathurst.

More nice Victorians biting the dust? Yay.

It is great these houses (they even have front yard!!) will be replace with something denser. They are not nice and probably have little historical value, judging from the pictures. Bathurst st being lined with primarily lowrise residential homes is ridiculous in the first place. Either the street is too wide for the building, or the buildings are too small for the street.

Safe to say these can easily go. Nothing worthy here.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at Monday Jul 18, 2016 2.54.43 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at Monday Jul 18, 2016 2.54.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at Monday Jul 18, 2016 2.54.43 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,639
You got to be kidding, as these are crap.

Very few houses on Bathurst meet the Victorian standards.

Those trees are okay though :p

Yeah this is no major loss. Bathurst gets surprisingly sparse in some sections, maybe this will add some life to the area.

Interestingly, the developer couldn't acquire the couple houses to the north and south which would allow them to build from the street corner across to the alley.
Also 149 Bathurst is half of a semi, which the other half is not part of the development site.
These houses holding out will probably regret it later on.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in the front page story! While it's difficult to really get a full sense of the design from the drawings and renderings posted, it seems to be exactly what this stretch of Bathurst could use; a tall-but-not-too-tall building on a relatively narrow lot. Even if it isn't great won't kill the block, as it will only take up a small portion of it, and it will hopefully set a precedent for the redevelopment of more of Bathurst, as far as built form goes.

I am kind of glad some houses are holding out. If only because they can be easily converted to retail spaces that will be able to accommodate small businesses. I know, very Jane Jacobs "new ideas need old buildings" - I think condoland needs variety in its retail options- not just banks, chain restaurants, and pharmacies and on day the owners of these buildings realize the demand for retail in a growing neighbourhood these small-scale buildings might become the future homes of that kind of retail (as they have in other places, Yorkville, etc.)

Back