The window glass look to be flat sliding glass doors, while it's the balcony glass that is curved.
(i.e. the doube/triple pane stuff is flat).
The precast could be feasible, but as others have mentioned, probably very expensive, like at The Butterfly in Vancouver.
Even the curved balcony glass without railings as shown are probably ~$5k-$10k each since their curvature would have to be custom to fit smoothly in.

The half dome windows, at least that's what I think they are in the photos, would of course be much more.

The cladding could maybe get done for $2 million per floor at the minimum so $60 million for cladding alone.

Factoring in sales taxes, development fees, a 15% profit margin, etc., the cladding could easily add $300k to the price of even a 1 bedroom unit, or $600k to a 3 bed.

Wonderful. Too bad it's not earmarked to replace that depressing brick apartment building the next lot west.
That's a Toronto Community Housing building, so that's really the last building we should get rid of in the neighbourhood.

I really like this proposal - it would be a bold step should it be built as envisioned. I realize that's a chasm of a conditional statement, but there ya go.

I really hope this is a bait and switch. It's ugly and pretentious, and it makes me think of a 1980s bathroom tile pattern. Toronto has a spandrel problem, not a rectangle problem.

So nice I'd actually like to invest in a unit here. But what will the finished product look like? Nothing like the rendering. I mean, this is Toronto, this thing will be value engineered to the nines. Look at the balconies. round glass? Yea right. Not happening.

I want to like these renders more than I do. Whilst I agree that this bold architectural facade is a welcome shift from the usual bland iterative design we're so used to, but there's something about the awkward proportions that look heavy and somewhat unrefined.

Really hope Elm Street Deli somehow finds another spot on the street to relocate to. I live nearby and it's probably my favourite lunch option in the area

I really hope this is a bait and switch. It's ugly and pretentious, and it makes me think of a 1980s bathroom tile pattern. Toronto has a spandrel problem, not a rectangle problem.
No, this looks nothing like 401 Bay...

Even the curved balcony glass without railings as shown are probably ~$5k-$10k each since their curvature would have to be custom to fit smoothly in.

The half dome windows, at least that's what I think they are in the photos, would of course be much more.

The cladding could maybe get done for $2 million per floor at the minimum so $60 million for cladding alone.

Factoring in sales taxes, development fees, a 15% profit margin, etc., the cladding could easily add $300k to the price of even a 1 bedroom unit, or $600k to a 3 bed.

That's $6,000/m2 for just the cladding - that's a bit much for precast and window wall.

The site lot is only 750m2 - if you take the same floor plate going up to the first set back - that's 110m of perimeter cladding per floor.

At 3m average floor to floor height - that's 330m2 of cladding per floor. If you are saying $2m cladding cost per floor that's $6,060/m2

High end residential curtain wall is $1,700 to $2,000/m2.

The site lot is only 750m2 - if you take the same floor plate going up to the first set back - that's 110m of perimeter cladding per floor.

At 3m average floor to floor height - that's 330m2 of cladding per floor. If you are saying $2m cladding cost per floor that's $6,060/m2

High end residential curtain wall is $1,700 to $2,000/m2.
Well curved surfaces add a lot to the surface area, could easily be 50% more, but I digress...

FYI High end residential by Toronto standards isn't very high end all.
True high end is something like 50 UN plaza in NYC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_United_Nations_Plaza
Which definitely costed way more than $2000 CAD/m2 of cladding.
And this building has cladding quality that looks a lot closer to the latter, at least in renders.

For this building the developer would probably cut back on the swoopy organic curves, super thin spandrels, ultra-clear glass, etc., but then it won't be anything like the renders.

Although for that matter I've never seen any residential building in Toronto with glass as clear as what high end retail stores use, such as Apple store glass for example, so it might not be something that's even seriously considered by developers here.

For reference the cost of glass for Apple stores is way more than $2000 CAD/m2 of glass. And then start adding curves...

Last edited:

Back