Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Modular Housing coming to the UHN campus in Parkdale.

51 Units, 4 floors.

1623090872925.png

1623090894537.png

Schedule:

1623090920598.png

Commentary by Councillor Gord Perks:

I am so pleased to announce that the City of Toronto will be building supportive housing at 150 Dunn Avenue, on the University Health Network (UHN) site. The new building will provide warm, safe homes with supports for approximately 51 people, including women, Indigenous residents, racialized people, people with disabilities and other people who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness.

This project is delivered in partnership with all levels of government, the University Health Network (UHN) Gattuso Centre for Social Medicine and the United Way of Greater Toronto (UWGT). The support services model for this site will be developed by UHN’s Gattuso Centre for Social Medicine, the City of Toronto and community partners. It will incorporate a range of health and social services to be delivered onsite.

The new homes will be studio apartments each with a kitchen and a bathroom, using modular building construction

Providing residents with good quality, affordable housing is the cornerstone of vibrant, healthy neighbourhoods. Bringing people inside means there are fewer people outside struggling to survive. When a person chooses to live in homes with supports, they:

• have a warm, safe place to permanently call home.
  • can access the necessities of life such as food, washrooms and laundry.
  • can begin to heal from the damage caused by living outside.
  • strengthen community connections.
Neighbours are invited to join us for a virtual Community Meeting on June 16, 2021 at 7 pm to learn more about these new homes with supports. The link for this session is: www.toronto.ca/150Dunn

A postcard and fact sheet with more information on this proposal were delivered to neighbours near 150 Dunn Avenue. Both are also available below for your reference. All of this information is also available at www.toronto.ca/150Dunn

I am happy to continue to share updates on this this exciting build as it moves forward.

Sincerely,

Gord

It's a nice design, but it doesn't seem like a Toronto design. The wood and siding read very West / East Coast to me and it doesn't fit in with the existing complex or anything on the street. It'll be fine, but not my preference at all.

It's a nice design, but it doesn't seem like a Toronto design. The wood and siding read very West / East Coast to me and it doesn't fit in with the existing complex or anything on the street. It'll be fine, but not my preference at all.
Wood and warmth are the future of building.

I think that this is trailblazer and in coming decades this will be more and more "Toronto Design"

You might see more trees in the west/east coast but don't be fooled Ontarios forestry sector is still big just maybe a little far north.

Construction to start at 150 Dunn Ave Supportive Housing Project

The City has received all necessary approvals to begin construction on the new supportive homes at 150 Dunn Avenue. Starting in mid-February, initial site work will begin including installing temporary fencing, tree protection, and the delivery of construction equipment. Construction is expected to take approximately five months.

Related presser notes the City has just received another 201.5M for phase 2 of the Rapid Housing Initiative which will offer another 427 (or more units)

Good that it's finally started; disappointing it took so long to get there!
Photo 2023-09-12, 3 08 23 PM.jpg

Photo 2023-09-12, 3 29 42 PM.jpg

Photo 2023-09-12, 3 34 45 PM.jpg

Photo 2023-09-12, 3 42 34 PM.jpg

Module assembly is now underway -- and will run for the next 10-days or so, depending on Wind and Weather...

Back