Anyone have photos of what this looked like before? Pictures and links posted at the beginning of the thread are now dead.

Are you asking what the buildings looked like that there now or what was plan for there??

I have photos of what there now and a small rendering of what was proposed.

The design is better than this one.

One needs to talk to TTC on building over the station, since the current loop is supposed to disappear in the current location if Metrolinx get their way for the new Bloor GO station. Regardless if Metrolinx plan flies or not, time to build over the station and make it part of this site.

Anyone have photos of what this looked like before? Pictures and links posted at the beginning of the thread are now dead.

Renderings of Teeple's design available here: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/4920-Giraffe-(1540-Bloor-W-Dundas-TAS-29s-Teeple)

Along with TAS' (still functioning) website for Giraffe: http://www.giraffeliving.com/

Anyways, here a few more renderings of the bizarre (potential) new proposal.

http://www.arcestra.com/viewTab/arc...ept-building/imagesTab/tableFileView#mediaNav

I'm actually really bummed Giraffe didn't get off the ground... that intersection desperately needs enlivenment and I'd way rather there have been a handsome Steven Teeple than something from one of our lesser local firms.

I really don't see why the OMB rejected it, given that the twin-tower Crossroads are right across the street, and DDW is a relatively significant transit hub (only to become more so if it eventually gets connected to the DRL). I wasn't around for the battle around this proposal but I live in the nabe now and certainly support significant development for this corner. Very curious to see what becomes of this new TAS institutional proposal.

I really don't see why the OMB rejected it, given that the twin-tower Crossroads are right across the street, and DDW is a relatively significant transit hub (only to become more so if it eventually gets connected to the DRL).
Very curious to see what becomes of this new TAS institutional proposal.

Yeah very strange, but then again they had everyone against it....neighbourhood residents, councillor Gordon Perks, the TTC, etc.
Its going to be interesting to see what they have to say about this 21 storey monstrosity...Gee, its so butt ugly:eek:

Nice, the city rejects a beautiful condo tower that would have transformed this dreary stretch of Bloor, and now we're set to get another piece of shit in its place instead. It kind of feels like TAS is mocking the city with this proposal. I hope all of you who spoke out against the old design are enjoying your massive slice of humble pie.

Nice, the city rejects a beautiful condo tower that would have transformed this dreary stretch of Bloor, and now we're set to get another piece of shit in its place instead. It kind of feels like TAS is mocking the city with this proposal. I hope all of you who spoke out against the old design are enjoying your massive slice of humble pie.

Preaching to the choir. I was a buyer in the Giraffe building and I was really looking forward to living there.
Breaks my heart, what a shame.

These guys are looking at developing the former Giraffe Condo site...Good luck, that corner really needs help

http://www.mainandmain.ca/

Located at the intersection of Dundas Street West and Bloor Street West this development is serviced by a TTC subway, TTC streetcar and GO Transit station that will be one of two Union Pearson Express stops between downtown and the airport
  • The site will be redeveloped as a thriving mixed-use project serving the many transit riders who pass through this intersection each day
  • Great opportunity to revitalize an under serviced stretch of Bloor Street

Surprised there has been no action at this site after 6 years since the Giraffe condos were struck down. This corner is in need of an upgrade.

Agreed, but I take it that the developer here (if it's still TAS that owns it) does not yet see a case for trying again. I assume they think that not enough has changed yet to give them the outcome they desire. It's still the same City Councillor here who opposed it last time, and now there are the more restrictive Tall Buildings Guidelines to deal with too. Lormel Homes wants to build north of The Crossways: they could be waiting to see what the outcome of that proposal is (and Lormel isn't exactly moving at light speed here either: this corner is not hot yet).

I remember arguing briefly with Gord Perks at my doorstep during the 2010 election about the Giraffe and that we were going to have a derelict building at a prime (though incredibly ugly) corner for over 5 years because of that decision. Those 5 years have come and gone and it seems no closer to movement. Who knew I would end up missing Joe Mercury's?

Dundas and Bloor is an ugly intersection that would have been improved by this project.

What's wrong with Dundas and Bloor?

f1231_it2169.jpg

f1266_it0217.jpg

f1244_it1090.jpg

Yeah, this is a sad, sad corner. I hope the Loblaws plaza gets redeveloped sometime soon, because that would really kickstart this stretch of Dundas and connect it to the Roncesvalles strip.

From the Dundas Bloor Mobility Hub docs, a vision for what we might see on this property -- it would be a game changer for this corner:
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 6.26.04 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 6.26.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 6.26.04 PM.png
    428.8 KB · Views: 860
When I'm driving on Dundas in the area, there are always jaywalkers darting across Dundas in front of Dundas West Station, even though there's an intersection 20 metres down the street. It's not a good situation. People have been hurt or killed. Ideally, the new project would also be built over the Dundas West station entrance pavilion, with a widened sidewalk and streetscape improvements, an underground tunnel for pedestrians to cross Dundas West, and a barrier to prevent jaywalking.

When I'm driving on Dundas in the area, there are always jaywalkers darting across Dundas in front of Dundas West Station, even though there's an intersection 20 metres down the street. It's not a good situation. People have been hurt or killed. Ideally, the new project would also be built over the Dundas West station entrance pavilion, with a widened sidewalk and streetscape improvements, an underground tunnel for pedestrians to cross Dundas West, and a barrier to prevent jaywalking.
There was supposed to be a signalized crossing added on Dundas to connect Dundas West Station with the newly constructed path to the GO/UP station. Oddly, it never materialized and seems to have fallen off everyone's radar.

Back