Event Information: 1540-1550 Bloor Street West

Date and time: Monday, September 14, 2020 6:00 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
City Planning Division has received a Zoning By-law Amendment and Rental Housing Demolition applications to permit the construction of a 25-storey mixed-use residential building with commercial uses at ground level at 1540-1550 Bloor Street West.

New tower proposal at site of rejected 'Giraffe Condos' project gets spotty reviews

Sept 20, 2020

Another battle could be brewing over the latest proposed condo development for the busy corner of Dundas Street West and Bloor Street West after the site has sat neglected for more than a decade

The project is slated for the original site of the Giraffe Condos, a 29-floor proposal that was rejected by both the City of Toronto and the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) 10 years ago. That high-rise building would have towered over the two-storey commercial block.

Now, another developer has a proposal before the city that has again ignited local opposition because of density and traffic concerns. But this time around, according to local city councillor Gord Perks, those behind the project are already planning to go to the province to seek approval.

They need to come up with a better argument with the provincial government, because right now they'll probably just blindly allow it to happen since it's right next to a GO Mobility Hub and TTC station.

If I were the city, I would also add the point that: this development should integrate with the existing Dundas West subway station. I'm sure that would be enough to scare the developer to actually change their current garbage proposal.

I like this project and can see little reason for objection. Integration with Dundas West Station would be nice but I understand there are obstacles to that. Developer has made effort to widen corner which is very positive and is also going with right in, right out access to parking. Height is fine compared to Crossway Towers. This site desperately needs to be developed and this proposal gets my support.

They need to come up with a better argument with the provincial government, because right now they'll probably just blindly allow it to happen since it's right next to a GO Mobility Hub and TTC station.

If I were the city, I would also add the point that: this development should integrate with the existing Dundas West subway station. I'm sure that would be enough to scare the developer to actually change their current garbage proposal.
You say it's "garbage" but not why. What's wrong with the proposal? Also developer is not allowed, under current rules, to integrate with TTC. TTC must initiate any such action.

I mean, aesthetically this proposal looks like three completely separate buildings stacked on top of each other. I can’t speak to street presence, but the renders look ridiculous.

Density seems fine to me. ‘Towering’ over Dundas and Bloor? Please.

You say it's "garbage" but not why. What's wrong with the proposal? Also developer is not allowed, under current rules, to integrate with TTC. TTC must initiate any such action.
Jimmy Karygiannis is that you!?

On a serious note this development is flawed in just about every aspect imaginable:

-It does not fit to existing neighborhood characteristics (anyone who has taken a walk along the neighborhood will know that the corridor on Bloor east of Dundas is vastly different than the corridor on Bloor west of Dundas). As such there should be some kind of step-down to recognize this.

-The podium is horrid design work and no one knows what it's trying to accomplish

-The tower itself makes it seem like the tower is overhanging on the intersection

-At street level, it doesnt even attempt to a setback to accommodate for the heavy pedestrian flows (the proposed "plaza" is a joke, and isnt much of a plaza)

I could go on but overall, this just doesnt work at all. I dont want to waste my breath because the developer isnt even serious about making any revisions, they just want to jam this ugly proposal through as is. This intersection needs the density dont get me wrong, but this is just a half-a**** design.

-It does not fit to existing neighborhood characteristics (anyone who has taken a walk along the neighborhood will know that the corridor on Bloor east of Dundas is vastly different than the corridor on Bloor west of Dundas). As such there should be some kind of step-down to recognize this.

Gee are you kidding with this planned and to be built across the street?

bloor dundas.PNG

Gee are you kidding with this planned and to be built across the street?

View attachment 271259
Again if you actually read what I wrote you would see: anyone who has taken a walk along the neighborhood will know that the corridor on Bloor east of Dundas is vastly different than the corridor on Bloor west of Dundas)

Should I highlight this as well so you can see it?

Where would it connect? And what advantage could / would that bring to pedestrians? The only thing that might make some sense is an at grade connection, similar to that at Jane station, at 1552 Bloor Street West. Even that would be a tough liability sell though because it would have pedestrians traversing bus and streetcar lines to get to the station. And you're behind the fare-paid line. There's really no gain to asking for another connection here.
Again if you actually read what I wrote you would see: anyone who has taken a walk along the neighborhood will know that the corridor on Bloor east of Dundas is vastly different than the corridor on Bloor west of Dundas)

Should I highlight this as well so you can see it?
This was the basis for the Giraffe decision a decade ago. I'd agree to enforce some fine-grained retail (next to impossible from a legal perspective), but I don't agree that there's any meaningful reason to limit height or density here.

Where would it connect? And what advantage could / would that bring to pedestrians? The only thing that might make some sense is an at grade connection, similar to that at Jane station, at 1552 Bloor Street West. Even that would be a tough liability sell though because it would have pedestrians traversing bus and streetcar lines to get to the station. And you're behind the fare-paid line. There's really no gain to asking for another connection here.

This was the basis for the Giraffe decision a decade ago. I'd agree to enforce some fine-grained retail (next to impossible from a legal perspective), but I don't agree that there's any meaningful reason to limit height or density here.
What I mean is that there should be additional street level setbacks and enhanced corner plaza to account for the heavy pedestrian flows that we see heading to Dundas West station. Especially when you factor in that we're going to be seeing a mega development take place across the street on the Choice Properties land.

With regards to incorporating Dundas West station into the grand scheme of the development, the TTC clearly needs expanded space for its streetcar operations at the station. All that should really be done in this particular case is setting aside some space to allow for that, and to be honest it's really not all that difficult. The developer could build over the expanded platforms and they wouldn't be losing much of anything; the TTC could pay for the platforms if it really came down to it.

As for the density, it's needed dont get me wrong. By like I said it doesn't take into account the existing neighborhood characteristics on the west side of Dundas. All they need to do is taper it down on the west side of the development, and allow it to gradually climb as it reaches Bloor.

As for the retail, I feel like it's just a lost cause with this developer and they aren't even trying on it. Either allow for a big retailer at-grade, or incorporate fine-grade retail. This wishy-washy generic non-sense they're going with isn't going to enhance a damn thing.

These changes are pretty simple to implement, but the developer seems like they couldn't care less.

As a resident living to the west and walking by this site pretty much every day, I would give resounding support to this proposal (to go as high as they want) with the following changes:

- public atrium w/ proper retail potential...would be a shame for this to end up like Yonge and Eglinton when it could be like Yonge and Bloor.
- connect corner to subway at or below grade (the existing at grade station is a little cramped for additional traffic from this and Choice Properties expansion).
- additional setback to plan for future foot traffic (don't get me started on Dundas south of Bloor where there is hardly enough space for one stroller to pass a pedestrian at places.

A nice to have would be a red/brown brick aesthetic that compliments the junction & other historic buildings, but I get that the design is subjective within reasonable boundaries (and the current proposal pushes the limits of reasonable).

What I mean is that there should be additional street level setbacks and enhanced corner plaza to account for the heavy pedestrian flows that we see heading to Dundas West station. Especially when you factor in that we're going to be seeing a mega development take place across the street on the Choice Properties land.

With regards to incorporating Dundas West station into the grand scheme of the development, the TTC clearly needs expanded space for its streetcar operations at the station. All that should really be done in this particular case is setting aside some space to allow for that, and to be honest it's really not all that difficult. The developer could build over the expanded platforms and they wouldn't be losing much of anything; the TTC could pay for the platforms if it really came down to it.

As for the density, it's needed dont get me wrong. By like I said it doesn't take into account the existing neighborhood characteristics on the west side of Dundas. All they need to do is taper it down on the west side of the development, and allow it to gradually climb as it reaches Bloor.

As for the retail, I feel like it's just a lost cause with this developer and they aren't even trying on it. Either allow for a big retailer at-grade, or incorporate fine-grade retail. This wishy-washy generic non-sense they're going with isn't going to enhance a damn thing.

These changes are pretty simple to implement, but the developer seems like they couldn't care less.
Given the difficulty of construction near TTC assets, I shudder to think about the bureaucratic complexity of constructing above and around one...This obviously shouldn't be the case, but it is.

Given the difficulty of construction near TTC assets, I shudder to think about the bureaucratic complexity of constructing above and around one...This obviously shouldn't be the case, but it is.
Shouldnt be difficult at all really, but the city likes to over-complicate things and make them seem like monumental feats.

To be honest it should be the TTC that does the due dillegence on things like this; when they see proposals like this they should make a point to make the city get involved in the matter. But clearly this thought hasnt crossed the minds of anyone at the TTC or the city.

What's the benefit to the TTC to complexify their ownership strata? I don't disagree with you in theory, but what's the benefit to the TTC in this situation?

Back