Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm assuming we have an existing thread for this, simply because there's no zoning/OPA request in a row of Single Family Homes.....

That said, I can't find that thread at the moment. @sunnyraytoronto

1651302377715.png

Streetview:

1651302496316.png

Aerial Pic:

1651302615022.png

Site Size: ~ 4200m2/45000ft2

This is the first time I'm hearing of this proposal!

Not to be confused with 33 Centre Ave - replacing 5 single residential houses with 83 Townhouse units across the street and a bit to the east

Also, on this block at Yonge:
- 6125 Yonge proposal for Khorak Supermarket rebuilt in podium of 27-storey condo with 391 condo units
- 6167 Yonge, 14 & 14-storey, 549 units (354+195) 5.86 & 6.23FSI - currently Mazda dealership

The map above shows a laneway just east of Yonge Street,... the geniuses at City Planning wants to convert this laneway - from Centre Park (also seen in map) to Steeles Ave - into a great Pedestrian-Only Boulevard Walkway,.... as part of the revised Yonge Street North Study to become Secondary Plan
- Notice, lots along east-side of Yonge Street will be limited to mid-rise! But lots east of this laneway will be allowed high-rise closer to Steeles Ave but still low/mid-rise in mid-station area like Centre Ave,.... I can't make this stuff up!

YongeStreetNorthSP_SteelesPedstrianLane.png

Image below clearly shows Centre Park - to give you an idea of where this proposal site is:
YongeStreetNorthSP_SteelesStationArea.png

I keep getting fooled by this thread, thinking it's on Centre Avenue downtown...

New rendering was taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission. The unit count changed from 453 units to 442 units. The car parking changed from 394 car parking to 384 car parking. Lastly, the total bike parking was reduced from 454 bike parking to 443 bike parking.

PLN - Architectural Plans - ArchitecturalPackage(reduced)_16-28Centre_Ave-1.jpg

New rendering was taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission. The unit count changed from 453 units to 442 units. The car parking changed from 394 car parking to 384 car parking. Lastly, the total bike parking was reduced from 454 bike parking to 443 bike parking.

View attachment 501438

New AIC link please; old one in the thread is broken.

Ok...

@Art Tsai , @interchange42 feels like we missed an iteration here somewhere.

If you look at the unit totals from the initial post, there are only 220; but Art's note above shows a reduction from 453 units.

When did we get to 453?

Not the end of the world, if we're currently up to date, but if the database had an interim update it would be good to see that progression.

Reviewing the renders, we picked up an entirely new wing here at some point. But there's no record of when that happened in the thread.

Additional properties have been added since post 1.

This is now 16-28 Centre Avenue

1692644218564.png

A bit of digging, I have confirmed the big change came in August of '22

From Correspondence on file:

1692644390007.png

1692644436541.png

1692644462021.png

1692644491593.png

* note the above is previous iteration of submission.

To put some ratios is

There 340 resident parking spaces proposed against 442 units for a parking ratio of: 0.77; that is very high for a site next to a (future) subway!

Elevators: 4 for a ratio of 0.9 elevators per 100 units.

Current Ground Floor Plan:

1692643785573.png

Current Site Plan:

1692643821817.png

@sunnyraytoronto may have thoughts.

Last edited:
At February's virtual community consultation for this larger 16-28 Centre Ave proposal, I suggested the Centre Ave frontage should have 45 degree angular plane terraces,... since there's a park across the street,... generally done to minimize shadow onto park. But since the park is south of this subject site,... it's more so park users could see less obstructed view of sky. And of course, the latest revision ignores my suggestion, as usual!

At February's virtual community consultation for this larger 16-28 Centre Ave proposal, I suggested the Centre Ave frontage should have 45 degree angular plane terraces,... since there's a park across the street,... generally done to minimize shadow onto park. But since the park is south of this subject site,... it's more so park users could see less obstructed view of sky. And of course, the latest revision ignores my suggestion, as usual!

You know you were being punished by the unseen entity for not having updated UT on that meeting!

LOL, but for the record I appreciate your input here!

Though I don't agree w/the terracing argument on the side you're arguing for.

I think IF that argument was there on this proposal it was the for the northern side.

Though I don't agree w/the terracing argument on the side you're arguing for.

I think IF that argument was there on this proposal it was the for the northern side.

Nope, northern side won't have argument for 45 degree angular plane,... since those single residential houses to the north are actually within the Yonge Street North Secondary Plan as well - thus, they have no protection against adjacent redevelopment.

The 45 degree angular plane rules only protect single residential houses that are not within adjacent Secondary Plans - this is why 10 Oakburn got chopped from 18-storey to 11-storey,... this 45 degree angular plane rule has always held up,.... https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...g-kirkor-architects.32526/page-2#post-1937209

Nope, northern side won't have argument for 45 degree angular plane,... since those single residential houses to the north are actually within the Yonge Street North Secondary Plan as well - thus, they have no protection against adjacent redevelopment.

The 45 degree angular plane rules only protect single residential houses that are not within adjacent Secondary Plans - this is why 10 Oakburn got chopped from 18-storey to 11-storey,... this 45 degree angular plane rule has always held up,.... https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...g-kirkor-architects.32526/page-2#post-1937209

I wouldn't dare disagree w/you on what the rules say in the applicable secondary plan. '

What I would say, is that rules should be guidelines, diligently observed, for a clear purpose.

The purpose of the angular plane is to reduce shadowing, which doesn't apply to properties to the south of a development site.

As well as minimizing real or perceived issues of privacy/overlook; which don't apply when the site is a public park.

Whatever the rules say, terracing doesn't make inherent sense on the south side of this proposal, to me.

That's not to say it would a terrible idea; more that I don't see it as an idea worth imposing, in that particular context.

Last edited:

Back