One of my favourite buildings, though biased as I grew up just down the street. I am also a fan of IBM's other building on the NW corner (now called Liberty Centre), just not quite on the same level as the NE corner. Both are quite anti-urban with huge parking lots and expansive landscaping, mostly a product of their times.
The wildest part is having their own middle of Steeles access ramp.

AoD

Last edited:
FYI - I really suspect the article is far off ... IBM is consolidating its many downtown offices here (and it's just two floors), none of the jobs are the Steeles Canadian HQ or the large Warden developer campus (both in Markham) are moving ... and IBM probably has 500 open jobs in Canada as it always has for the last n years (typical turnover / backfill / growth / ...).

I would suspect there's probably a subtraction of downtown office space (in terms of size) with this change, with more work from home / remote as well.

Partially. They had the brick building there (1150 Eglinton Avenue East), but the main complex belonged to Celestica.
UtakatNoAnnex is actually correct. IBM owned the entire site - it was their Don Mills manufacturing complex. The brick building contained IBM finance, management and administration offices. When IBM went into one of its re-focusing and restructuring initiatives, in response to both changing technologies and markets along with heightened competition for Asian manufacturers, IBM spun off the Don Mills manufacturing operation into a separate entity, Celestica, which subsequently went public, with majority ownership by Onex, while the components being retained by IBM moved up to the Steeles Avenue site.

The wildest part is having their own middle of Steeles access ramp.

AoD
The Atria office complex on Sheppard has one too.

The tunnels are much nicer than the mega-flyover on Warden for IBM's campus there.

The best part about the Steeles Campus too is that it's literally next door to their old HQ. When they decided they wanted a new building in the 90's they just built a new one next door and left the old one for other tenants.

The Atria office complex on Sheppard has one too.

The tunnels are much nicer than the mega-flyover on Warden for IBM's campus there.

The best part about the Steeles Campus too is that it's literally next door to their old HQ. When they decided they wanted a new building in the 90's they just built a new one next door and left the old one for other tenants.
Where is that one located? I can't seem to find it on Google Maps...

Years of driving by there and I never noticed that, not once. That must be a heck of a ramp and underground structure!

Partially. They had the brick building there (1150 Eglinton Avenue East), but the main complex belonged to Celestica.

Which was an IBM subsidiary before being spun off. The site at Eglinton and Don Mills was IBM before they moved to Steeles.

It's definitely a consolidation of offices for IBM. The media makes it seem like the first downtown office whereas IBM has multiple offices downtown on Bloor, Spadina, King, and Wellington that are being consolidated into this new one. While it's only a few floors, keep in mind that IBM is spinning off its technology services unit (Kyndryl) by the end of the year so those employees will get their own office separate from IBM. It's 60K square feet so definitely a substantial office space. Consolidation will be good to get employees to co-locate on the days that they are in the office rather than scattered between multiple offices and client sites.

Artowrk on wall and half-circle seating on Bremner

IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg

Back