Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at Monday Mar 16, 2015 11.46.28 AM.png
    142 KB · Views: 2,099
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at Monday Mar 16, 2015 11.47.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at Monday Mar 16, 2015 11.47.02 AM.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 2,057
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at Monday Mar 16, 2015 11.46.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at Monday Mar 16, 2015 11.46.39 AM.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 2,065
I wish the cladding was something else other than 100% glass like with every single office tower being built these days.

Does anyone have info on this project ? Why have they reduced height, usually they have a reason. Makes me think they might be zeroing in on a tenant.

Quite possibly the most banal building in many years. I thought the city was trying to address the way buildings addressed the street?

This is sad and will lessen foot traffic in the area - except for tenants of course. The area will be dead after 5pm.

Quite possibly the most banal building in many years. I thought the city was trying to address the way buildings addressed the street?

This is sad and will lessen foot traffic in the area - except for tenants of course. The area will be dead after 5pm.

Compared with the parking lot that exists now?

Well the argument being if the podium is just a glass box so to speak ... like BA ... not the shape but the fact there is no retail street level frontage ... but I thought they were going to include space for restaurants here ?

Well the argument being if the podium is just a glass box so to speak ... like BA ... not the shape but the fact there is no retail street level frontage ... but I thought they were going to include space for restaurants here ?

It's pretty clear from the plans that there will be retail space behind the heritage facade, as well as the podium stretch along Simcoe. I am fairly certain someone didn't look at the plans before commenting.

AoD

I worked in 160, the streets were not dead.

Dare I say that I like this stubby version much better. I like the proportions better. It suits being 'fat'. It's the Kevin James of Toronto office buildings.

The west elevation at grade seems more appropriate if it was situated more in the CBD. I was hoping if they were going to reduce to height, they'd at least bring some more attention down at street level and let people know there is actually retail. Given how this area is a transition/mix of Entertainment and CBD, something more than an all glass podium would have been nice to give just a little more animation. At least right now we can see character from the red brick warehouse walking along Simcoe.

On the other hand, I am glad to see an extension of the PATH; this site was labelled as a high priority extension on the PATH Master Plan so it is good to see this filling out.

Not a fan that Union Centre and 160 Front will essentially be the same height now. Only one can be visible from the lake or the north depending on where you're standing. I guess a pro is that the views from the CN Tower's main pod will be less obstructed.

Compared with the parking lot that exists now?

No, of course not, what I meant was that is won't add anything to the street front on either Front street or Simcoe street.

With all the great stuff they are doing at Union Station, (focusing on pedestrians) it would have been nice to see them carry the energy down the street.

There is a convention centre across the street. street front shops and restaurants would be great. this proposal is quite sterile at street level

Last edited by a moderator:
No, of course not, what I meant was that is won't add anything to the street front on either Front street or Simcoe street.

With all the great stuff they are doing at Union Station, (focusing on pedestrians) it would have been nice to see them carry the energy down the street.

There is a convention centre across the street. street front shops and restaurants would be great. this proposal is quite sterile at street level.

Yes; it’s terribly banal. Another giant blue glass chunk.

It’s going to be especially sterile at street level, but the whole thing is sterile.

Last edited:

Back