A little late

July 2, 2021:

IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0858.jpg
IMG_0859.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg
IMG_0861.jpg

I took it across the street. PCL can't do anything about me taking these photos.

Jul 5, 2021

I did get someone with a hard hat approach me to say it was illegal to show/take any photos with the PCL logo.
Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Oooooboy. 😂 I need a drink.

Funny how this comes up every few months. Nice to have it so thoroughly tackled by @SMT @Ottawan, @evandyk, @wmedia this time. Yes: UT Forum contributors should not be intimidated by such bullying around construction sites… unless you are trespassing on the property where they are building. If you are, please head back to public property before aiming your camera their way again. Also, remember that the person telling you whatever phony restriction has just been told to say that by their superiors, so don't get angry at them personally.

Last edited:
There's also a lot of suspicion around photographers because there's a fear that someone (the Ministry, building inspectors, a union, competing contractors, neighbourhood associations, etc...) is conducting surveillance to try to catch someone in a "Gotcha!" moment. It doesn't matter how carefully you try to comply with the rules and regulations, over the course of a day or a week everyone will slip up and have their safety glasses off for a minute, or be a couple minutes late back from lunch, or whatever other infraction someone might commit, and then that photo gets dragged out as evidence. I always hated having my photo taken, and even when I needed to take site photos I was always careful not to include any people in anything.

I'm not saying the guy was right for coming out and yelling about privacy. He was in the wrong, and he can be photographed in public. But it might be helpful for everyone to have some perspective and empathy for why he's saying it.

...... I always hated having my photo taken, and even when I needed to take site photos I was always careful not to include any people in anything.

I'm that way too on both counts. As a result, I try not to capture 'personal' shots of people in my pics (where the person is clearly identifiable); where that can't be avoided, or it's just a great shot featuring people, I still screen my pics to see that I didn't capture anything overly embarrassing (ie. inadvertent nudity, or someone w/lunch on their face etc.)

One thing about a higher-powered camera, I now have to survey my pics looking at uncurtained-windows to make sure I didn't invade someone's privacy unintentionally.

I'm not saying the guy was right for coming out and yelling about privacy. He was in the wrong, and he can be photographed in public. But it might be helpful for everyone to have some perspective and empathy for why he's saying it.

I agree, but would add, it would help in those circumstances if workers were simply honest. Tell me your boss said to say..........or......that you don't want YOUR picture taken.

In that case, I'll be happy not to take that particular person's pic; or ask if the boss is watching.......and if so, take pics from a more discrete spot.

This is definitely moving at a slower pace than CIBC Square was. I think the steel frames advanced up almost every week when they building CIBC. Granted, that was pre-COVID. What are the existing rules that may slow down the progress here? Or maybe it's just PCL, and that's why they don't let passers-by take pictures :)

^first few floors of CIBC were slow too. but this extremely slow maybe due to Covid (steel production)?

This is definitely moving at a slower pace than CIBC Square was. I think the steel frames advanced up almost every week when they building CIBC. Granted, that was pre-COVID. What are the existing rules that may slow down the progress here? Or maybe it's just PCL, and that's why they don't let passers-by take pictures :)
Not an insider but I'd assume CIBC Square's simpler floorplate/structural arrangement and a larger staging area were factors

No, clearly it's moving slower because the poor workers have to keep shooing away all the pesky photographers ;)
If the construction crew don't want to be photographed, they should have worn hazmat suits and placed tall scaffolding covered with tarp. Oh, and the top would have to be covered in tarp to prevent those with drones from photographing it from above.

No matter what, photographers will find a hole in the tarp to photograph through.

Back