Jul 27, 2022

A307C530-966D-4553-89A6-944F6EF12E71_1_201_a.jpeg

AB77BB97-3D61-4295-A6A8-A699EED11E65_1_201_a.jpeg

EC260A11-076C-485E-BE3B-593162EA935D.jpeg

402EFE41-01D9-49A5-812F-CB0C8AEBE74C.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoa, 58 likes. @interchange42 what's the record for the most likes on a post? And more importantly, slip us some under the table, thx.
I think my first diagram of CIBC got like...72? But I'm sure @steveve has me beat somewhere (and deservedly so, his 3D model is a triumph!!).

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but why are they using black tarp on the exteriors while it's under construction? I don't recall ever seeing a building in Toronto do this before.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but why are they using black tarp on the exteriors while it's under construction? I don't recall ever seeing a building in Toronto do this before.
My limited Google Foo'ing has come up with that polyethylene sheeting comes in either rolls of black or white for vapour containing. So they must of wanted it for the ability to absorb light as oppose to reflecting it? Or it was on sale...

...that doesn't rule out however, that they could have had this manufactured with certain properties for this project that made black more preferable. But someone inside the industry or this project even would have to explain that better for that answer.

I know personally it looks dreadful, but thankfully it's only temporary.

So it's to contain vapour? Why is this not done on other buildings then? What's special about this building construction that they had to use it?

...I seen this done more with buildings that use steel construction than that which uses just reinforced concrete. I guess they spray insulation and stuff when encasing the steal supports and such...stuff that pedestrians likely don't want to breath in below.

Again, this my limited understanding of why they do this from observation. I am by no means an expert...but I'll try to answer this the best I can until someone with more expertise tells me I am wrong. And this is how it's done instead. So I hope this suffices for now!

Maybe it has to do with the shape of the building? Traditional forms would be harder to place on this tower.

Or it could just be a cost issue as well. Whatever material they're using is the most economical option for them.

Back