Makes sense. Thanks! Do you know the history of the building? The building next door seems to have a sign that says Howell's. Do you know anything about that?

I was passing today at metro convention centre and I noticed at Simcoe parking lot is fenced and there is heavy equipment such as shoring material and deep foundation drilling machine. Is that path construction project?

Makes sense. Thanks! Do you know the history of the building? The building next door seems to have a sign that says Howell's. Do you know anything about that?

I know nothing beyond what was in one of those Toronto In Colour photo threads...

I was passing today at metro convention centre and I noticed at Simcoe parking lot is fenced and there is heavy equipment such as shoring material and deep foundation drilling machine. Is that path construction project?

Sorry to ruin a good supertall argument but the project is construction of a new sales centre for the Ritz Carlton. Nothing too exciting.

The RBC/Ritz project represents completion of the CBC/Simcoe Master plan from the 1980's. Anything new here would be a new project completely.

Reported about a week ago.

Seems wasteful to build a new sales centre now. I almost would have thought it better to lease space for a showroom in RBC or Simcoe Place so they could show off the potential views

Didn't the ICE sales centre also use a lot of equipment to build it? Although I'm not sure about shoring equipment for it.

I believe the member who reported the shoring equipment was mistaken. There was a boring machine on site digging holes to sink the sonotubes into
(though these are also used in the shoring process) which may have been mis-reported as a shoring machine.

The equipment that I saw there on Monday looked to me like it was meant to take whole plugs of earth out of the ground. As if they wanted to test the composition of the material, the sturdiness of the ground, and any potential contamination of the site.

/\ Nope. Soil samples are taken with a small machine as one only needs a tiny sample to analyze. The machine to which you are referring simply digs deep, cylindrical holes. The dirt which is removed from the hole is taken away from the site and dumped.

Why would they build a new sales center? when the existing one is exactly next to the parking lot? Maybe they need something more upscale and extravagant to sell the remaining units.

And when the ritz is completely sold, they can convert it to sell units of whatever is coming up on the parking lot itself.

156 Front St W (Cadillac Fairview, 65s condo + 54s office, Zeidler)

Breaking news from Toronto's planning applications page:

OPA / Rezoning 11 243742 STE 20 OZ Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Jul 22, 2011 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application to demolish existing heritage building (RETAIN EXISTING HERITAGE FACADE ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDE) and construct 2 new towers with one common podium - RESIDENTIAL TOWER - 65 stories - 620 residential units - 6 levels below grade parking - 356 residential parking spaces - 160 BICYCLE PARKING SPACES - OFFICE BUILDING 54 stories - 6 levels below grade parking - 360 office parking spaces - 11 retail spaces - 37 residential visitor parking spaces

This is the building containing Canyon Creek and Joe Badali's. (between University and Simcoe, north side)

Okay, my head just exploded. The pace of Toronto development is now officially insane.

First guess at building heights:

Residential: 65 storeys x 3m per storey = 195m
Office: 54 storeys x 4m per storey = 216m

There is obviously quite a margin of error on both of these heights.

Last edited:

Back