City:
Toronto
1625-1641 KINGSTON RD
Ward 20: Scarborough Southwest

1602201182201.png

Site as it appears today.

3 low rise apartment buildings.

1602210768514.png

The City's rental replacement laws would kick-in on a site like this.

3 low rise apartment buildings.

The City's rental replacement laws would kick-in on a site like this.

They would be going in that other building that Altree/Kohn are working on at 2151 Kingston.

More of the same here

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

^ Colour me unsympathetic.

I swear, people imagine that they can have SFH and low density on a major arterial road forever. If they want that, they can ask for the Neighbourhoods to be upzoned, and hold out for a little while longer.

Besides, midrise is what the City wants, so...I’m not sure how they’re planning on opposing this development.

^ Colour me unsympathetic.

I swear, people imagine that they can have SFH and low density on a major arterial road forever. If they want that, they can ask for the Neighbourhoods to be upzoned, and hold out for a little while longer.

Besides, midrise is what the City wants, so...I’m not sure how they’re planning on opposing this development.

The real concern here is the elimination of affordable, purpose-built rental in favour of ownership-based housing.

Change this to a rental and we have a clear positive.

The real concern here is the elimination of affordable, purpose-built rental in favour of ownership-based housing.
That’s only the concern of the first person though - and that, I’m very sympathetic to. The other two quoted are upset about “towers”, and general look and feel, which is code for “don’t change anything.”

Change this to a rental and we have a clear positive.

One more layer to that. Is it corporate owned or family owned? A large corporate owned rental may never gets cheap as they'll charge as much as they can vs a mom and pop where squeezing every dollar out isn't necessarily the objective. We may eventually see this play out once the first wave of condos are paid off at the end of this decade. It's possible 2030 onwards, it'll be condos supplying cheap rent from owners that bought at $200-$300/sq ft

A builder says it is changing a proposal in Scarborough’s Birch Cliff area to include rental apartments for tenants its condominium project would displace.

Altree Development’s decision means people living in the Lenmore Court apartments at 1615-1641 Kingston Rd. can return to live there if the project is built.

Tenants of the 33 apartments at Lenmore Court were previously promised space in another proposed Altree development at 2151 Kingston Rd. in the neighbouring Cliffside community.

At a March 1 community consultation, Louis Tinker of Bousfields, a consultant representing Altree, told around 200 Birch Cliff residents the replacement rental units would be on the new mid-rise building’s second floor.

Lenmore tenants would receive at least eight months’ rent as compensation, Tinker said.

Altree’s pledge that tenants can return after construction is a victory for the fledgling Birch Cliff Village Association, whose members made this one of “five asks” in a campaign to limit local development.

During the online meeting, however, several residents said they still oppose the revised Altree plan for 1615-1641 Kingston because they feel the nine-storey, 264-unit project is too large and would encroach on a residential street by incorporating single homes at 50 and 52 Birchcliff Ave.

Tinker said the project is comparable with other mid-rise buildings approved for the area, including The Manderley at 1478-1496 Kingston Rd.

He said Altree was unsuccessful in a bid to purchase the houses on Birchcliff.

Architect: how many colours of brick do you want?
Developer: yes.

You know, I don't totally mind that...........in that the long frontage side is substantial, and the use of colour articulates a series of smaller buildings rather than one large monolith.

Back