neat-ish design. i have a problem that this is supposed to be 4 storeys 'as of right' but they are doing a minor ammendment to 6 which is way more than a minor ammendment should before. Hopefully planning comes to their senses and asks for a rezoning application or grants 'as of right' at 4 storey only not 6. Sneaky move and should be rejected. I say this only because at 6 storeys theres alot of impingements on the neighbours and neighbourhood etc and they should be consulted about the impacts and take it from there. And this is not from a nimby!
and if not 6-storeys on major arterial roads, where in the heck are the million people moving to Toronto in the next 15 years supposed to live?

and if not 6-storeys on major arterial roads, where in the heck are the million people moving to Toronto in the next 15 years supposed to live?

I don't take any issue here w/6 floors particularly.........

But I'm not necessarily in disagreement that an increase from 4 to 6 is not 'minor'.

It is a 33% increase in permitted height, which, in relative terms, is the same as asking for 60 storeys if 40 storeys is as-of-right.

I would probably argue that six should be as-of-right in this location..........

But I'm open to the idea that the difference is sufficiently material to merit a planning application.

I'm a bit of stickler for the consistent application of principles.

I don't take any issue here w/6 floors particularly.........

But I'm not necessarily in disagreement that an increase from 4 to 6 is not 'minor'.

It is a 33% increase in permitted height, which, in relative terms, is the same as asking for 60 storeys if 40 storeys is as-of-right.

I would probably argue that six should be as-of-right in this location..........

But I'm open to the idea that the difference is sufficiently material to merit a planning application.

I'm a bit of stickler for the consistent application of principles.
% is a terrible way to assess minor. 2 storeys is a minor change on a midrise site, especially with the OP providing direction for such density already indicating that it's not a total departure from policy intent.

"Minor" in minor variance is an interpretive term and everyone thinks differently about it, including members of the CoA itself, but it's not unusual to see a MV for such a building, especially if the FSI stays in the same general range of zoning.

% is a terrible way to assess minor. 2 storeys is a minor change on a midrise site, especially with the OP providing direction for such density already indicating that it's not a total departure from policy intent.

"Minor" in minor variance is an interpretive term and everyone thinks differently about it, including members of the CoA itself, but it's not unusual to see a MV for such a building, especially if the FSI stays in the same general range of zoning.
Agreed. The City needs this x1000 on all our avenues. All parties should do everything they can to make these time and cost efficient to build. Best way to get the housing we need in this city.

1650 Dupont Street Condos

Gairloch developments have primarily used reinforced concrete, but the company has been interested in doing cross-laminated timber construction and will use it for the six-storey, 30-unit, Gabriel Fain Architects-designed 1650 Dupont Street Condos.

“This product falls in line with our overall corporate objective of delivering needed missing-middle product to the market more quickly, in addition to diversifying our product offering,” said Woods.

“It’s something that can be repeated across the city, and be done so in a very efficient manner. It’s something that can be entitled a lot quicker, built a lot quicker and brought to market in an expedited fashion.”

The plan is to launch sales early in Q2 2022, break ground during the summer and be ready for occupancy a year later.

A new rendering is updated in the database! Several changes were added to the database.

The total unit count was reduced from 30 units to 28 units. The total story count remains the same at 6 storeys. The total building height decreased from 23.00m to 20.0m. Finally, the total parking spaces increased from 7 parking spaces to 9 parking spaces.

The rendering is taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - FEB 24  2022-1.jpg

PLN - Cover Letter - FEB 24  2022-5.jpg

Last edited:
Cool to see Junction Point in the background of this render. I hadn't really thought about the visibility of Junction point from Dupont around here and it's interesting to see how both will make their mark on the area from this angle!

Back