Lake Ontario

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposal for a 15 storey apartment building containing 149 residential units and ground floor commercial space. Public Notice
img38.jpg

It is located at the northwest corner of Lakeshore Rd E and Elmwood Ave N, 250m to the east of Hurontario St. A small plaza is currently occupying the site. Site is in red:
170 Lakeshore.jpg

Something that you rarely see these days. Is that they capped the top of the building with pre slab concrete brick. That tie in with the podium's pre slab as seen in the photo up above. Love to see more of that in the future instead of glass or metal on the top !

Found this shot I took on June 13th while filing away my work from that date:
DJI_0838.JPG

Per the updated public notice, they've proposed to increase the building height to 17 storeys, but slightly reduced the number of units. This is being presented to the Planning and Development Committee on January 16, 2023.

This site is a block east of Hurontario, so a good development in the right place. It's a bit disappointing that they could not acquire the strip fronting on Rosewood Ave. The parking lot to the east (right side of the photo) is the lot for the low-rise LLBO, which I thought was cutting edge architecture when I was a kid. It can only be a matter of time before proposals surface.

This site is a block east of Hurontario, so a good development in the right place. Its a bit disappointing that they could not acquire the strip fronting on Rosewood Ave. The parking lot to the east (right side of the photo) is the lot for the low-rise LLBO, which I thought was cutting edge architecture when I was a kid. It can only be a matter of time before proposals surface.
No, the lot to the right is green municipal parking. Then the lot next to that is the low rise LCBO, which has its own little parking lot on its north end.

There was significant opposition to this development by local residents (they want something much smaller, around 4 storeys), and the City did not approve the proposed development in its current form. The developer has already appealed this matter to the Ontario Land Tribunal, but as far as I can tell a pre-hearing date has not yet been scheduled.

There was significant opposition to this development by local residents (they want something much smaller, around 4 storeys), and the City did not approve the proposed development in its current form. The developer has already appealed this matter to the Ontario Land Tribunal, but as far as I can tell a pre-hearing date has not yet been scheduled.
and this is partially why the city centre is at a mall.... Less NIMBYS at a mall and they have significantly less power (There houses aren't worth the same) The idea that everyone on the GO service thread is excited with how Mississauga is getting more and more service on the lakeshore line but ignoring the fact that the people down at port credit oppose everything is insane. Meanwhile near square one 70 floor buildings are never opposed by NIMBYS yet their GO service is complete trash in comparison. Of course 17 floors should be approved in walking distance from a GO train.. This is Bizzaro world.

Thanks for the update.

I'm less familiar w/OLT precedent in this area, but I would certainly hope the development would be approved at height that is pretty close to what they initially or subsequently proposed.

It wouldn't totally surprise me if the height boost was mainly to allow the City to save face and settle for the original height once the hearing at OLT gets close; but I'm really not sure due to being less familiar w/precedent and this builder.

Thanks for the update.

I'm less familiar w/OLT precedent in this area, but I would certainly hope the development would be approved at height that is pretty close to what they initially or subsequently proposed.

It wouldn't totally surprise me if the height boost was mainly to allow the City to save face and settle for the original height once the hearing at OLT gets close; but I'm really not sure due to being less familiar w/precedent and this builder.
I see the four story appeal with the precedent set south of the Lakeshore, almost opposite this site. On the other hand there are significant new builds a block away (NE corner of Lakeshore and Hurontario) and legacy multistory builds exceeding four stories scattered to the east and fringing the east side of the commercial section of Lakeshore East.

There are no reasons not to build as planned. The site is located on a busy main traffic artery, not some quiet side street. Walking distance to the PC Go Station, the the HM line and all the multistory builds there and to come. Walking distance to the 'gentrified ' sections of the Lakeshore west of Hurontario, walking distance to the Lake, walking distance to some excellent pubs and (most of all) walking distance to your proposal for re-wilding part of the Credit river historical land fill areas!

There are two or three other strip malls and disused commercial sites that are ripe for development, and all in this area.

The Merit Hearing on October 30, 2023 was adjourned. A Status hearing is now scheduled for November 30, 2023.
Per the memo summarizing the status hearing held on November 30 (here) the project is back to being described as a 15-storey mixed-use building, including a 6-storey podium.

A six-day hearing has been scheduled to commence on Monday, April 15, 2024.

Back