From my understanding, that article is correct, but as it says, there are two ways to meet the requirements in the code. The performance path doesn't require a 40-60 glazing ratio.

Edit: The Block 22 article from a few months ago includes a piece at the bottom outlining the changes:

In January 2012, Ontario's new Building Code went into effect. The new OBC legally binds developments, including condominiums, to a strict set of energy efficiency standards outlined in ASHRAE 90.1-2010. Following the prescriptive path, no more than 40% of the building can be vision glass, a significant departure from the current average window-to-wall ratio of 70%. The performance path provides an alternative, which many developers will likely seek, that requires extensive energy modelling to meet prescribed energy savings targets. Glazing will still be allowed, though its quality and energy performance will have to meet these new rules.

Last edited:
Finally got time to finish up a story and post it to the front page, and get the dataBase file published. Have fun.

Right, time for the weekend!

I spent half of one summer as a kid in that warehouse building when my dad worked there. The warehouse is ugly in the inside but I am glad they are keeping it as a facade. The indoor renovations should be nice.

I don't mind this at all. With the right materials it could actually be quite attractive.

I'm also impressed they're retaining the Southam Building.

I spent half of one summer as a kid in that warehouse building when my dad worked there. The warehouse is ugly in the inside but I am glad they are keeping it as a facade. The indoor renovations should be nice.

There are some nicely fixed up offices in there now; Blackwell Engineering being one of them, and that renowned company has actually been tasked with doing the engineering for the heritage portions of the structure!

It looks like another SL-style mess. Simplify and/or redesign.

From the last page of this thread:

[...] the diagrams and renders merely show all of the possible iterations for cladding the building on one structure and are therefore not intended to be taken literally. From there, HPA will to select one or two variations and apply them across the entire building.

April 07

16885165508_69751718dd_b.jpg

Certainly not what you might call achitecturally challenging or engaging or exciting or moving or....anything.

Not a bad looking facade with the thin looking windows. But we still have that box look for a building. It would be nice to round the corners of the building. And rap those thin narrow windows around it. Can someone explain to me why in the last ten to fifteen years a good 90% of the skyscrapers that have gone up used the clear blue green colour for a window facade? Is it energy saving or just cheap to purchase? I personality think its making the city look cheap and dirty.

Back