There are many companies in the building currently, including Blackwell who will be doing the engineering on the retrofit.

One thing I'm surprised to see missing from the rendering in the Allied video are the floor-and-a-half high windows at ground level facing Duncan Street, so that's making me wonder if in fact what 's been put into the video is the latest rendering. I'll ask next week.

Ah I meant the ground floor.

For some reason I thought you said retail space rather than commercial space.

19 DUNCAN ST
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District

The proposed development has a combined residential and non-residential gross floor area (GFA) of approximately 43,000 square metres, including approximately 31,500 square metres of residential GFA and 11,500 square metres of non-residential GFA. The proposed development is approximately 178 metres tall with a density of approximately 18.6 times the area of the site.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status

Rezoning 15 164825 STE 20 OZ May 28, 2015 Application Received

Last edited:
The building may be slightly shorter now that the application is in…

Until now we have been talking about 186 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse. With the number above just 8 metres shorter than that, it may be that the number quoted does not include a mechanical penthouse, or it may be that a couple of floors have actually been eliminated. We may just have to wait for the preliminary report until we know which it is.

The building may be slightly shorter now that the application is in…

Until now we have been talking about 186 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse. With the number above just 8 metres shorter than that, it may be that the number quoted does not include a mechanical penthouse, or it may be that a couple of floors have actually been eliminated. We may just have to wait for the preliminary report until we know which it is.

Can you confirm if the renderings posted by urbandreamer, on the previous page, are old renderings? They're dated 2014, so I assume that design has been discarded?

So its going to be a rental bldg.:cool:
More, and a video of Allieds plans.............http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/6/18/Re...g-ambition-to-transform-downtown-Toronto.aspx

Allied Properties' towering ambition to transform downtown Toronto

Now Allied wants to expand its appeal, and the potential residential renaissance in Toronto is an opportunity Emory can’t ignore. Most of his vision for topping his heritage office buildings with ultra-modern steel and glass is still on the drawing board, with 19 Duncan St. gearing up for the first residential rebuild.

Allied split the $47 million purchase of the 107-year-old faded red brick building originally constructed for the Southam Press headquarters with luxury condo and hotel developer Westbank Corp. They’ve previously partnered on the TELUS Sky project in downtown Calgary. Allied will oversee the project while Westbrook will manage the rental properties.

Fifty stories of modern residential and office space above will dwarf the original structure.

Over the next three years, Allied wants to break ground on several mature office buildings in the growing King-Spadina portfolio. They include:

• 489-499 King West – A 12-storey building to be built at King West and Brant Streets.
  • 388 King Street West – A 33-storey, 770,000 square foot tower to be built at King West and Peter Streets.
  • The Well – A 7.7 acre project at the base of Spadina Avenue between Front Street West and Wellington Street West, that could feature seven towers between 15 and 44 stories.

57 storeys of rental in the core?

That is pretty significant.

Also I didn't know this building was 107 years old.

This is going to the DRP next month

CITY OF TORONTO DESIGN REVIEW PANEL AGENDA: MEETING 8 - Sept 10, 2015
City Hall, 100 Queen St W, Committee Room 2 ( located on second floor)
12:10 pm 19 Duncan St Rezoning Westbank Presentations: -Joanna Kimont, Community Planning; Nasim Adab, Urban Design Georgia Kuich, Heritage Preservation Services
-Hariri Pontarini Architects

Details in the report had me moving 11 units around in the dataBase file: taking out 11 suites, and adding 11 feet to the proposed height. Not exactly a thrilling update to the file, but there you go!

Back