To all of the keyboard commandos out there claiming to be 'bored' by this: if you'd actually bothered to engage and attend the meeting, you'd know that the diagrams and renders merely show all of the possible iterations for cladding the building on one structure and are therefore not intended to be taken literally. From there, HPA will to select one or two variations and apply them across the entire building.

The amount of fact-free bellyaching around here is nauseating sometimes.

To all of the keyboard commandos out there claiming to be 'bored' by this: if you'd actually bothered to engage and attend the meeting, you'd know that the diagrams and renders merely show all of the possible iterations for cladding the building on one structure and are therefore not intended to be taken literally. From there, HPA will to select one or two variations and apply them across the entire building.

How the hell were we to know that? And you could have volunteered the information with less snark.

Westbank has numerous projects in Vancouver. Most are locally designed. I think this one will rate quite favourably as the design progresses. I suspect more are to come in Toronto too. This one is also an Allied/Westbank partnership.

I'm talking about their Vancouver House project.

I know you are but, it's one development out of a dozen Westbank has built in Vancouver. Their next project here could be by BIG.

This was just a preliminary design presentation and nothing has been submitted to the city yet.
This was just the start and there will be a lot of design development to come, so don't take what you have seen too literally.

Not all of us had the time to attend the meeting so this seemed like what was being proposed. Thanks for the info and that should definitely factor into our discussion. Next time maybe try to convey the information in a less snarky tone

That said did HPA or the developers say when they have an idea of what will be decided or did they express any hinted enthusiasm to one motif or another?

I don't think this looks all that bad. Few balconies, what looks like sharp cladding without over-spandreling it, slender profile, and roof fins. Still better than most of what is proposed I would say.

I rarely complain about stuff, and generally hate the bellyaching as well. HOWEVER in this case the only thing that would have NOT disappointed me would have been a BIG design.
In all honesty I don't mind this building at all. I do not think it is a fail. I'd be happy if it was practically anywhere else. I was just hoping that Westbank would give us BIG. Maybe one day.

How the hell were we to know that? And you could have volunteered the information with less snark.
Not all of us had the time to attend the meeting so this seemed like what was being proposed. Thanks for the info and that should definitely factor into our discussion. Next time maybe try to convey the information in a less snarky tone
Just to offset this, I'll add that I appreciate the well-deserved snark and I'm so glad that post was at the top of the page for everyone to see.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yup, I also find the endless complaining tiresome, but in this case I think we were hoping for something exceptional and got something that's just pretty good. I don't think there's any need to apologize for being disappointed about that.

This is HP, it will be fine. Probably not going to be one of HP's best works by the looks of it, but I am still doubtful that it is going to turn out horribly.

Just like The One, I get the feeling that most people gave themselves these huge expectations for this project, thinking that it would be some BIG masterpiece, and can be nothing but disappointed by whatever is actually proposed. When you look at this development objectively, its fine. Nothing extraordinary, but nothing particularly bad either.

In other news, we are starting to see some interesting cladding choices now that developers are only allowed to have 40% of building cladding being glass..

It'll be more than 40%, that's just an 'optimal' target set out by the city. This was also discussed at the meeting.

Apologies for the lack of knowledge, but my understanding was that the 40% number was set out in the building code? wouldn't that require it to be reached?

No worries. Shared knowledge is why we're all here.

The OBC deals primarily with life-safety and accessibility guidelines. As this is more of a sustainability target, it falls outside Code purview.

Is this article then false?

http://www.building.ca/news/web-exclusive-the-updated-ontario-building-code/1001011870/

The Updated Ontario Building Code
By: Steve Kemp, P.Eng
2012-03-29

The update to the 2006 Ontario Building Code, which went into effect in January 2012, is the most progressive code-required energy standard in North America. There are some significant changes to the code which will likely significantly reduce the number of glass-walled towers being constructed in Ontario cities—and not a moment too soon say energy and design professionals.

What’s Changed in the Code?

The updated OBC generally follows the building standard outlined in ASHRAE 90.1-2010 combined with the green building ASHRAE 189-2009 envelope requirements. In terms of building envelopes, ASHRAE 189-2009 actually encourages the design of green buildings rather than just the "bare minimum" of energy efficiency and occupant comfort.

There are two ways to meet the updated OBC: the performance path and the prescriptive path.

The performance path requires that a building be designed to achieve one of following:
•25% annual energy savings relative to the Model National Energy Code (this is essentially the prerequisite energy requirement for LEED).
•5% annual energy cost savings relative to ASHRAE 90.1-2010 (without the OBC envelope revisions)
•Lower annual energy cost relative to the OBC prescriptive code of ASHRAE 90.1-2010 with ASHRAE 189-2009 envelope revisions

This would need to be demonstrated through an energy model that indicates what building features are improvements over the reference buildings (i.e., daylighting sensors, triple glazed windows, ultra-high-efficiency heating plants).

The prescriptive path will have some "real eye openers" for many design teams:
•no more than 40% glazing
•many common wall constructions, such as z girts and spandrel panels, will have challenges meeting the required insulation values
•very high performance double glazed fenestration systems, and sometimes even triple glazed windows are required
•heat recovery ventilation (whereby exhaust heat is used to preheat incoming fresh air) required in more building types

Back