Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
190 Westney Road South: a proposed 57 & 57-storey mixed-use apartment, hotel & commercial development by Ledim Developments on the northwest corner of Westney Road South and O'Brien Court in Downtown Ajax.

Renders from the project website:
190-Westney-Elevation.jpg
190-Westney-Elevation-1.jpg
190-Westney-Elevation-2.jpg
190-Westney-Elevation-3.jpg
190-Westney-Elevation-4.jpg
190-Westney-Elevation-6.jpg
190-Westney-Elevation-7.jpg
190-Westney-Landscape-Plan-Podium-Roof.jpg

Site as it is today (aerial):

1664296097576.png

At Grade:

1664296149731.png

Height Precedents:

(with the caveat that I do not follow Ajax planning all that closely, nothing much appears in Streetview that would support these heights:

1664296223942.png

Site is just over 500M south of Ajax GO Stn; I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume this is an MTSA-based application.

Based on sets of windows, the podium/streetwall here is 7s; though the render seems to show windows (floors?) with three different heights, in addition to the variation for the ground floor.

I am unilaterally ruling this to be goofy; and unattractive.

Looking through the project website, the podium is indeed 7 floors, and has 2 floors of commercial with a commitment, it would seem to a supermarket on site.

Ahhh, and 4 floors of above-grade parking in the podium. That explains a great deal. In a word: 'No'.

From the project website:

1664296516757.png

Last edited:
Is this area stretch of road going to be changed into Ajax's main downtown hub area? Because these tower's hieghts are pretty tall. Even if it's close to the regional GO station lol!

I guess this is what happens when the province allows developers to run buckwild in cities huh? We start seeing outlandish proposals...like this.

Three elevators for 58 storeys? Even Madison wouldn't do this. There's one of two outcomes here:
  • We can continue just building stupid portfolios in the sky, with no relation to anyone who may actually have to live there, or;
  • We can make elevators, the fundamental building blocks to living in the sky, a code item, directly tied to the number of units.

Three elevators for 58 storeys? Even Madison wouldn't do this. There's one of two outcomes here:
  • We can continue just building stupid portfolios in the sky, with no relation to anyone who may actually have to live there, or;
  • We can make elevators, the fundamental building blocks to living in the sky, a code item, directly tied to the number of units.

I haven't been involved in recent code updates, there was a process earlier in 2022 that is now closed. That process did not include changes for elevators, but did address Mass Timber buildings, some harmonization issues with the national code and a few other bits n' bobs.

There was supposed to be an additional consultation for further code updates in the fall of '22.

That consultation does not appear to be open yet; which means it might be a good time to see if you can influence what's in it.

Below is the contact info for the last round of consultation. I can't guarantee that the same people will manage the next round, but I'm sure if they are not, they will know who to put you in touch with......

1664367541219.png

Ajax wants the Bayly & Harwood area to be their new downtown, not here.
Sadly, the downtown Area in Ajax only allows for maximum building heights of 25 storeys (currently but it is likely to change in the future). Also this development is part of the Ajax GO station mixed-use area, so eventually the whole area will be developed. There is also a potential for the downtown boundaries to be extended west, making the GO station area and surrounding lots part of Downtown Ajax.

Based on sets of windows, the podium/streetwall here is 7s; though the render seems to show windows (floors?) with three different heights, in addition to the variation for the ground floor.

I am unilaterally ruling this to be goofy; and unattractive.

Looking through the project website, the podium is indeed 7 floors, and has 2 floors of commercial with a commitment, it would seem to a supermarket on site.

Ahhh, and 4 floors of above-grade parking in the podium. That explains a great deal. In a word: 'No'.

From the project website:

View attachment 429236
I spoke with the applicants and this isn’t the updated renderings or plans. They are still designing the proposed towers and changing details suggested by the city. My main issue with this proposal is the lack of elevators in such a high building. There should be atleast 4-5 elevators in each tower. I also hope that the new design will be unique and not just another high rise building competing or mimicking Toronto.

Back