I actually think this corner should remain commercial (office) and prefer a 65 rental apartment at Queen/Church just a bit east of the proposed site.

fedplanner:

No offense, but Toronto is already has one of the densest downtown in North America - and the current crop of towers suggest the "fear" is bit of a myth.

AoD

Hardly. the following NA cities are all denser than Toronto.

New York City
Philadephia
Boston
San Francisco
Washington DC
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Miami
Chicago
Santo Domingo
Port-au-Prince

Toronto is not very dense even in NA standard, not to mention NA standard is very very low.

Of course you are talking about "downtown", but some concrete stats will be helpful.

Last edited:
bleu:

Well, you are the one who gave me a list of cities with the claim that they are all "denser" - surely you can muster some concrete stats for that (I noted your late edit) when my claim is quite conditional (downtown, one of the densest). And yes, comparing Toronto to Port-au-Prince is really helpful - and interesting you should raise that example, given the sheer difference in built form and housing conditions. It sure is an example of density without height.

AoD

Last edited:
I saw the scale model for this tower.. It's really interesting.

Slightly flared at the bottom, slight twist at the bottom also - windows (or balconies) are little boxes going all the way up.

Keep in mind this was back in Oct 2012, maybe things have changed since...

New York City
Philadephia
Boston
San Francisco
Washington DC
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Miami
Chicago
Santo Domingo
Port-au-Prince

Toronto is not very dense even in NA standard, not to mention NA standard is very very low.

Of course you are talking about "downtown", but some concrete stats will be helpful.

But Washington DC has no skyscrapers. According to wikipedia, the tallest building is the Washington Monument. No building taller than 15 floors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Washington,_D.C.

Again, according to wikipedia, in the table "List of cities with the most buildings taller than 100m", Toronto is #14 in the world, and third in North America (after NY and Chicago). In the same chart, Philadelphia and Boston are #60, San Francisco is #33, Mexico City is #27, Miami is #21. So, in terms of number of highrises, Toronto is up there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_with_most_skyscrapers

Last edited:

New York City
Philadephia
Boston
San Francisco
Washington DC
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Miami
Chicago
Santo Domingo
Port-au-Prince

This and Fedplanner's comments about Toronto losing its fear of height are surely trolling?

Toronto has more residential skyscrapers than anywhere else in the western world. Also... Miami, etc.? Hahah, you cannot be serious.

This and Fedplanner's comments about Toronto losing its fear of height are surely trolling?

Toronto has more residential skyscrapers than anywhere else in the western world. Also... Miami, etc.? Hahah, you cannot be serious.

it is based on city proper density statistics. All the cities listed have higher density than toronto. Toronto's density is 10,750/sq mile versus Miami's 12,140. Philadelphia's density is 11,460. Actually Toronto's density is only about 30% higher than Los Angeles, a city usually considered as an example of being sprawly.

You seem to make the mistake of equaling highrises to density. Toronto has way more highrises than Paris too, but Paris has 5 times the density.
Toronto does have many tall towers in the western world, but it also has a very high percentage of 1-3 storey low rise buildings as well, largely more than offsetting the higher density brought by highrises.

Seems you are either being ignorant or as you said, trolling.

In terms of how busy the streets are, Toronto is nowhere near where capacity. All it needs is 10x more subway lines!

But Washington DC has no skyscrapers. According to wikipedia, the tallest building is the Washington Monument. No building taller than 15 floors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Washington,_D.C.

Again, according to wikipedia, in the table "List of cities with the most buildings taller than 100m", Toronto is #14 in the world, and third in North America (after NY and Chicago). In the same chart, Philadelphia and Boston are #60, San Francisco is #33, Mexico City is #27, Miami is #21. So, in terms of number of highrises, Toronto is up there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_with_most_skyscrapers

I agree with you. Toronto undoubtedly has more highrises than most NA cities. never denied that.
I was commenting on density, as AoD mentioned we have one of the highest density in NA, which I think is misleading.
Number of highrises and density don't translate into each other at all.

bleu:

I was commenting on density, as AoD mentioned we have one of the highest density in NA, which I think is misleading.

I said:
No offense, but Toronto is already has one of the densest downtown in North America

Which part of that statement escaped your comprehension? I didn't refer to the City of Toronto, vis-a-vis the statement regarding fear of height and density, which is what I am dealing with. If you want to deal with that scale, you'd better be including all the New York ex-urban sprawl instead of looking at the data on the basis of some arbitrary political boundary.

AoD

Last edited:
AoD said we have one of the densest downtowns.

Bringing in city-proper density stats is classic straw man tactics, IMHO.

Back