Toronto Model 06-16-22 200 University.png

Nothing is sacred in this town, other than cute SFHs. Just kill it already - because just what does this exercise preserves other than giving someone an out with soothing words about "respecting the architectural integrity", blah blah? At least an entirely new build wouldn't look so ludicrous

AoD

Last edited:
Whoa. Has a modern office building ever got that kind of preservationist treatment before?
I can't understand why it is! There's nothing special about this facade and the rendering of the the tower on top looks cheap in my opinion lol!

Your issue with this is that it's square?
My issue is that this is a prime location for a masterpiece. It's right next to the city hall, 4 seasons arts center etcc. I wanted something more architecturally appealing to break the blandness and boringness of Sheraton and city hall landscaping along Queen street on my walks. My issue is that this building will not have a nice street presence as I walk by. Its shape looks like every building built or being proposed on university or in the city. At least change the material or color of the building. Maybe put a stone or two instead of all glass. Something different you know?

I dont think this is a bad addition at all overall, but what I do think is bad is that bland awful addition at street level. Is that really necessary?
Said "bland awful addition" likely pays tribute to a single-story bank pavilion that was at the ground level until the 1980s.

This is so pathetic. This building and the one next door to it should be retained as is. Both are handsome designs that should not be turned into thrones for condo towers. Between these 2 structures and the Irish Embassy proposal, is nothing safe in this city? If somebody wants to propose a structure on top of a heritage structure it better be the most beautiful design that we forget about drastic addition to an already solid building.

While lacking in a degree inspiration, putting a building on top of another building always seems fascinating from an engineering point of view.

The existing structure will undergo a complete retrofit to accommodate the new development. Office use will be retained on 12 floors and an additional retail pavilion will be added at ground level.

The additional 33 storeys will include approximately 475 residential suites along with amenities and conveniences.

The design concept adapts and reuses the former mechanical penthouse as an amenity space for commercial tenants during the day and social function rooms for residents in the evening.

“The development represents a continued investment in employment by modernizing an important building, the enhancement of office space and the provision of needed amenities such as event and meeting spaces and outdoor terraces,” said Schneiderman.

“The addition of new housing opportunities is desperately needed in Toronto, particularly in dense transit-oriented locations like this. As we move further through the design process we will elaborate further on the quality design and residential amenities planned.”

GWLRA hasn’t yet decided if the residential component will include purpose-built rental or condominium units.

Schneiderman said more than a year was spent evaluating the feasibility of the project and determining a solution that upgraded the capacity of the exoskeleton structure, allowing for the additional residential load above.

“The existing ground floor was designed for single-use occupancy. Mixed-use required careful planning to fit the new auxiliary spaces, rework the commercial elevator core and the addition of a residential core while maintaining high-quality office areas.”

Some existing office tenants were part of the design team, according to Schneiderman. A final logistics plan has yet to be worked out for office tenants in the building, which is approximately 90 per cent occupied, during the redevelopment.

Appeals Report to the next meeting of TEYCC, seeking direction to staff to oppose this at OLT.

The City has a LOT of issues w/this one.

The first bit in the report is actually a synopsis from the Design Review Panel which had a look at this one in February:

1686578990114.png

1686579017616.png

Now for City Comments:

1686579070927.png

1686579095452.png

1686579125930.png

1686579193494.png

There are assorted, seemingly small Transportation-related issues............then....

1686579232747.png

And

1686579275010.png

1686579291023.png

All in all, I think this one will have to be the subject of significant revisions.

Back