First Capital has a project website

Man if this is shocking people.... just wait and see what happens when the industrial lands on kipling starts moving.... oh baby is it going to get wild.

I've thought about that recently as well. The industrial lands between Kipling and Islington from Bloor to Queensway are about the size of downtown Toronto and are easy pickings for redevelopment. Just imagine what's likely to happen there in the next decades...

I've thought about that recently as well. The industrial lands between Kipling and Islington from Bloor to Queensway are about the size of downtown Toronto and are easy pickings for redevelopment. Just imagine what's likely to happen there in the next decades...

Most of it is "provincially significant employment zones" which has 0 routes for redesignation for mixed use, so I would consider it's extremely unlikely to see large scale redevelopment short of some major provincial policy changes.

Besides, quite a bit of those older industrial buildings in the area are where many support and ancillary businesses related to film and television live - graphics output bureaus, carpentry and mould-making shops, special effects houses, catering companies... and then there's 777 Kipling itself, home to gigantic film and television production and the operational home to Handmaid's Tale. I would be surprised to see all this going away terribly soon, although I would add that in some ways it's inevitable that huge swaths of it will be redeveloped.

Are these renders indicative of the final design, or merely a placeholder?
initial stages obviously. final design should be close enough though.
It's waaaaaaaaaaaay too early to declare that the "final design should be close enough though". I get that there's a lot of architectural detail shown here—a tremendous amount of work has gone into this proposal already, and personally, if they built it as is, I'd be happy enough—but the planning process throws unpredictable curveballs on the way to approvals, as does the economy afterwards: for something this big, we can safely say… it's waaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say.

That industrial land could be used for a new LARGER Line 2 subway train yard and facility, to replace or add to the current Greenwood yard. May also be used for an expanded garage replacement for the Queensway bus garage.

That industrial land could be used for a new LARGER Line 2 subway train yard and facility, to replace or add to the current Greenwood yard. May also be used for an expanded garage replacement for the Queensway bus garage.
Haha, from ugly to uglier,
..not in my backyard if i lived around there

If the Ontario Line/Relief Line were extended along Queensway to Sherway Gardens, it could also be the yard for that line.

This is a really tough ask, but does anyone know if Concord and Daniels put out similar proposal docs for Cityplace or Regent Park?

It would be interesting to see how those inital renders and plans differed from the final product, and could speak to how First Capital will wind up navigating what @interchange42 is describing.

I have a lot more faith in FC to pull this off over Concord's Cityplace, but with this much capital tied up, only time will tell...

CityPlace significantly evolved compared to its first renderings, but truth be told the plans weren't as thoroughly thought out. Sorry to say that I have not saved any of the earliest ones, but here's one (with an inexplicable line through it) from 2008 in our Canada House thread. There were all pretty vague.

2595846010_eb29597d0a_o.jpg

Regent Park's first renderings were just massing blocks IIRC.

Could someone find in their documentation, other the vague mention here and there, where they will be placing the school that would be needed for the children of the "approximately 7,500 new residential units", and the existing buildings as well?

Personally, I think they could use the first three floors of any of the high-rise buildings for a school and library, using some of the green space for the sport and play fields for the school. They could even use a pool and gym of a recreation building for the school.

Unless they will ALL be single bedroom units. Hopefully, they will include large 3-bedroom family units.

No documentation on that yet. They're vague about services at this point. As I mentioned before, all of that will be worked out with the City and Boards of Education on the road to approvals here. Lots of negotiating to come.

So if HBS looks like this without a subway what will STC plans look like?

Back