Lots of ogle-worthy posts from an A&M principal (I believe these are all still conceptual and that it hasn’t been confirmed whether they’ll actually design any of the buildings, but fun to see nonetheless).

Definitely too early to know if they retain any of the building designs, let alone whether AM ends up being the architects. However, even if the building architecture is just another bait and switch, I would imagine it would be hard to ruin their vision for the pedestrian/cycling realm, which to me is the single best thing about their proposal. Hypothetically speaking, if the masterplan is approved with its central pedestrian galleria as a key part of the plan, can First Capital then abandon the idea at a later stage?

Definitely too early to know if they retain any of the building designs, let alone whether AM ends up being the architects. However, even if the building architecture is just another bait and switch, I would imagine it would be hard to ruin their vision for the pedestrian/cycling realm, which to me is the single best thing about their proposal. Hypothetically speaking, if the masterplan is approved with its central pedestrian galleria as a key part of the plan, can First Capital then abandon the idea at a later stage?
They can approve the neighbourhood street and pedestrian realm plan and the massing envelops, and every use can be in place… but if First Capital isn't willing to spend the money, either on the architects themselves (better firms generally cost more) or on the finishes, then a wonderful plan could end up being executed poorly. Here's hoping this isn't 27 acres of mediocrity in the end, we want something GOOD here.

Not sure if any of this info is new to this thread, but I found some interesting details on Allies & Morrison project site:

Process
One of the largest in the city, this is a long-term project that will take many years to realise. In late 2019, an Official Plan Application was submitted to the City of Toronto, detailing the proposals following extensive stakeholder engagement. The project is intended to be delivered in six phases with the first phase anticipated for approval and construction start in 2024. Estimated completion for the new Lake Shore GO train station is 2026

Collaborators
Landscape: DTAH, Gross Max
Local architect: Adamson Associates
Planning: Urban Strategies
Economic: Tate Economics
Engineering: Arup
Transport: BA Group
Rail: Hatch
Consultation and engagement: Lux 9

I'm in denial about that 2026 GO station opening date: I say trains will be stopping there from next summer onwards. (I better buy some flags to wave at them.)

According to the recent Planning and Housing Committee report:
The next consultation event is intended to gather feedback on the draft Plan, draft Bylaw and Urban Design and Streetscape Guidelines and is planned for October, 2020 and will be hosted virtually. The event will consist of a video presentation by staff followed by a facilitated Q&A session. Participants will be encouraged to provide comments following the meeting for a 14-day period. There will be continued opportunities for consultation through the posting of materials online and further stakeholder meetings.

However, I can't find any details on how/where to participate in it.

Does anyone know what will be developed just north from the proposed GO station and on the eastern portion of the site. My understanding is that the eastern portion will be given to the city for a fire station, (maybe) a police station and what else? However, I couldn't find anything about the site just above the new GO station.

Also, does anyone know what will happen to the current Humber loop, once the transit hub moves to 2150 Lake Shore?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what will be developed just north from the proposed GO station and on the eastern portion of the site. My understanding is that the eastern portion will be given to the city for a fire station, (maybe) a police station and what else? However, I couldn't find anything about the site just above the new GO station.

Also, does anyone know what will happen to the current Humber loop, once the transit hub moves to 2150 Lake Shore?

Thanks!
You can find thorough descriptions of the plans, including images, via the database file attached to the top of the page. North of the rail corridor, that wedge of land will be mostly given over to the new bypass road, the rest to GO station related access, landscaping, etc. It's land east of the this property on the north side of Lake Shore that may be given over to a new fire station. The Humber Loop will still be there, but the plan is that streetcars won't typically turn around there anymore, but that they'll continue into the 2150 Lake Shore property.

Do you guys think that
A) the density and height of towers will be the same when it gets fully realized?
B)Will this spark redevelopment and more density in the later years to come to create a downtown 2.0?

Seems to me it's largely a residential project, not a commercial one with tons of office space. Look more to East Harbour for that sort of thing.

Back