Those buildings ought to be preserved. They're some of Toronto's best looking modernist ones.

This took some digging, but I found it in a report on the Toronto office market from October. It says: "Oxford Properties took over leasing of Canada Square, with the aim to redevelop the complex."

I assume this means both buildings fronting Yonge, but I don't know. Might they be working with Build Toronto in developing the entire property?

http://www.avisonyoung.com/fileDownloader.php?file=files/media-room/REMIReGTAQ3officeOct27_15.pdf

Read up on 4050 Yonge,... BuildToronto did NOT help with office development at that site. It's the northwest corner of Yonge & YorkMills/Wilson where TTC parking lot is,... was originally approved for new 7 storey TTC head office. That got cancelled due to politics. Then BuildToronto came in and sold the land for about $25million to EastonGroup who will put up similar size structure but with back half being hotel and front half being office condo. With office condo showing up as 80% empty (a-la Tridel HullmarkCentre),... that means the we'll really only net 10% of the original office space if this was to be a large scale office format like TTC head office. BTW, TTC is now more desperately looking for another head office.

Those buildings ought to be preserved. They're some of Toronto's best looking modernist ones.

I agree, however the street level experience is quite bad.

2180yongestreet (6).jpg

1415591717_1_Canada Square - North Tower.jpg

Attachments

• 2180yongestreet (6).jpg
    2180yongestreet (6).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,395
  • 1415591717_1_Canada Square - North Tower.jpg
    1415591717_1_Canada Square - North Tower.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,427
I love that building! There is little respect for 60's office buildings in the town. It was a time when TO became a big city....they are not perfect but they represent a time of optimism I think. I do however regret the loss of some of our best Victorian heritage buildings in the 50s 60s 70 s.

The City wants - at a minimum - that the link building between the towers come down at some point to open up the street there, adding some permeability.

I wouldn't expect any of this to come quickly though. I think you'll be waiting for the rebuild of Eglinton Station to finish and the Crosstown to open before major changes happen here.

Honestly I don't know why they'd redevelop unless they want more condos; The office buildings are all nearly 100% full ... I have a feeling this may not happen for a long time ... here's probably why it did; There was a lot of speculation that Canadian Tire would move out .. somewhere .. if they did it'd leave a giagnatic hole to fill, I think they're maybe 60/70% of the entire complex ? At which point they'd probably consider redeveloping.

Canadian Tire's plans were to relocate to a new building at Leslie subway station, but that was cancelled in favour of staying put. @Tuscani01 might know if there have been any recent rumblings.

Honestly I don't know why they'd redevelop unless they want more condos; The office buildings are all nearly 100% full ... I have a feeling this may not happen for a long time ... here's probably why it did; There was a lot of speculation that Canadian Tire would move out .. somewhere .. if they did it'd leave a giagnatic hole to fill, I think they're maybe 60/70% of the entire complex ? At which point they'd probably consider redeveloping.

No plans to move out at all. There were plans to move to Leslie/Sheppard years ago but CT signed a new lease at Canada Square. 2180 Yonge is almost entirely CT, and 2190 and 2200 have a small CT presence.

Every floor is scheduled to undergo massive renovations, so I don't see the space being vacated anytime soon!

There was always a plan for Canada Square to build an office tower for CTC behind the two existing towers but the "when" was never defined. I had thought the potential move to Leslie/Sheppard would have motivated Canada Square to move sooner but apparently not. I suspect the new Eglinton Crosstown is one of the keys keeping CTC here (the subway was a key reason they didn't move), but also from contacts I still have at CTC, there is a plan brewing that would give CTC it's shiny new head office and a redevelopment of the entire Square, including a new TTC station.

The link I posted says that Oxford plans a redevelopment. Based on Tuscani01's remarks above, perhaps this redevelopment consists of nothing more than renovations of the existing buildings.

There was always a plan for Canada Square to build an office tower for CTC behind the two existing towers but the "when" was never defined. I had thought the potential move to Leslie/Sheppard would have motivated Canada Square to move sooner but apparently not. I suspect the new Eglinton Crosstown is one of the keys keeping CTC here (the subway was a key reason they didn't move), but also from contacts I still have at CTC, there is a plan brewing that would give CTC it's shiny new head office and a redevelopment of the entire Square, including a new TTC station.

I think most of what you've heard is just speculation regarding CTC getting a new office building at this location. The Crosstown wasn't a factor in staying. It just didn't make sense to build a new office. The subway also isn't a factor in staying, as the property CTC was looking at would've included a connection to the subway too. (Not to mention a lot of CTC employees are from the burbs. The subway isn't as big of a draw as parking)

The link I posted says that Oxford plans a redevelopment. Based on Tuscani01's remarks above, perhaps this redevelopment consists of nothing more than renovations of the existing buildings.

I'm thinking the same. If anything, I can see 2190 being redeveloped. I don't see anything happening with the two towers besides possibly some street level improvements (2200 can sure use it)

I think most of what you've heard is just speculation regarding CTC getting a new office building at this location. The Crosstown wasn't a factor in staying. It just didn't make sense to build a new office. The subway also isn't a factor in staying, as the property CTC was looking at would've included a connection to the subway too. (Not to mention a lot of CTC employees are from the burbs. The subway isn't as big of a draw as parking)

I used to work at CTC - in the Real Estate arm - and it was definitely the plan. They talked about moving many times but the existing location right on the subway always made them change their minds. I suspect the addition of the Crosstown only made their love of this location stronger. I'd love to see whats going to happen here, the area is changing so much and the new Crosstown makes this property even more valuable than before.

I used to work at CTC - in the Real Estate arm - and it was definitely the plan. They talked about moving many times but the existing location right on the subway always made them change their minds. I suspect the addition of the Crosstown only made their love of this location stronger. I'd love to see whats going to happen here, the area is changing so much and the new Crosstown makes this property even more valuable than before.

They ever debate about moving downtown into a new office build; CT tower has a nice ring to it ;)

Back