DouginTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apparently the Esso station on the corner is now for sale.
3596F839-72CB-414E-AC86-778DFE7867BC.png

Apparently the Esso station on the corner is now for sale. View attachment 226471

A development at the Esso site will probably have to be somewhat tame in scale. There is a minimum tower separation with Eau du Soleil that would prevent a tower from being built on nearly half of the lot. The tower would have to go at the corner of the intersection, where I can imagine City Planning preferring a mid-rise built-form. But there is the precedent set on the NW corner of Park Lawn and Lake Shore to refer to.

Still, depending on the sale price (and hopefully minimum contamination issues), it should be a lucrative enough of a site to develop if you covered the lot area with mid-rise residential density and managed to fit a skinny tower at the corner.

I did notice that Marine Parade Drive is lacking proper sidewalk infrastructure on its east side. Hopefully that could be addressed with whatever ends up happening on this site. (I wonder what will happen to the trees, I imagine they are on City property though the broker's pamphlet above might indicate otherwise?)

Side note, but looking closer at the Esso station made me realize how much I actually dislike Eau du Soleil's podium fronting on Lake Shore. Definitely the weakest component of the project.

How far back does that property go? To where the gas station ends? Or is the old Eau du Soleil presentation centre property included?

How far back does that property go? To where the gas station ends? Or is the old Eau du Soleil presentation centre property included?
Eau du Soleil's sales centre is on a site that the City owns and which will be landscaped as parkland once they're done with it, I hope, this summer.

Where's everyone suppose to get gas in the neighourhood??
They're supposed to start taking GO when the new station opens.

There's gas up on The Queensway.

This is going to be a 25-35s building probably

Not too big, not too small

Hell, 42 park lawn hasn't had any movement despite being approved years ago so we might not see anything on the lot for a long time

FWIW, we can see the Essa Station in question from our windows. It’s mildly comforting to know it’s there, just in case we need it, but we hardly ever actually use it. It’s closure will have little impact on us.

Though we ourselves are very infrequent customers, the station is, nevertheless, a busy one and presumably therefore profitable. But clearly the owners think they can make more money by developing the lot than by pumping gas. That is probably true or will soon be true with respect to many Toronto gas stations. In the not so long run that trend will likely have an effect on us urban car owners. But my guess is that this will be only one future complication for car owners in metropolitan areas.

LOL have you tried turning left on The Queensway going East. Best of Luck.
Thus the reason why i said both The Queenway and Park Lawn will be more of a zoo (ie: busier) than they already are.

The back of the ESSO store is right up to the property line.

For the amount of setback required, this will be a very thin building and not a tall one at that. Been waiting for this to happen.

As for getting gas, you need to buy it on your travels as stations are disappearing a lot faster these days. With cars getting more mileage these days and the coming of the E cars, don't need as many stations as you did 20 years ago. Been to places and it's been a bitch to find a station, let alone one open 24hrs.

I have 2 stations 2 blocks from me and very rarely I get gas from them.

As for the Plaza by Humber Loop, it was only built the last decade and crying out to be towers. Mostly mid-rise and will be look at closely once the new GO station gets built.

Back