ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Marigold Hotel is infamous in Brampton - several floors have been used as a shelter, though rooms are booked to unsuspecting guests who didn't read the reviews ahead of time. It has been around for decades, first as the Thunderbird Inn, then the Rosetown Inn, then as a Howard Johnson's, and now as the Marigold Hotel.

This is across Queen Street from Mattamy's Rhythm development.

226 Queen Street East
The project proposes a 35-storey residential and commercial tower as well as a 3-storey commercial and office building. There are 57 surface parking spots and 630 basement parking spots across 3 levels of underground parking. The proposed 35-Storey building has 8 commercial units on the ground floor and 462 Residential units above. The proposed 3-Storey building has 8 retail units on the ground floor and 10 office units above.

Architect is n Architecture Inc. whom also seem to be handling the application submission on behalf of the client.

It seems this is going straight to Site Plan Control without need for rezoning.

1625058245725.png

Architect is n Architecture Inc. whom also seem to be handling the application submission on behalf of the client.

It seems this is going straight to Site Plan Control without need for rezoning.

View attachment 331549

I am pretty sure the city doesn't require rezoning for high-density mixed use development for most of the the Queen Street corridor between Downtown and Highway 410 - it's already zoned as "Central Area-Mixed Use" in the secondary plan for the area.

The site as it appears on Streetview:

1625063842385.png

Can't say that would be missed.

Context shot, looking down the street:

1625063900888.png

Observation: While the overall streetscape is regrettable, The streetlights are nice; better than most of what we get in Toronto!

The hotel is in very rough shape. I noted several broken windows, one which was covered by a black garbage bag. The renovations done in the late 1990s when the Rosetown Inn was branded as a Howard Johnson’s are wearing out, revealing the hotel’s old blue and white colours.

The Region will have to find somewhere else to house the long-term residents here.

F7188CE9-B73F-4262-B4CC-1E8AA2A1FEDE.jpeg

014C3900-DE0B-4029-8930-593E53CDA8B9.jpeg

Update on the pre-consultation (Brampton has been making a lot of updates to its Planning Viewer map lately):

The concept plan proposes to develop the subject site with two high-rise tower of 45 and 35 storeys and 8 levels of podium mixed-use building. The building will contain approximately 900 residential units and 3 levels of underground parking with total of number of around 625 parking spaces.

Planning notices are up. A councillor I know expects this project to sail through, especially once the Region of Peel completes work on renovating the old Comfort Inn on Rutherford Road.

Goodness, that surrounding sea of surface parking lots. Environment Canada should declare that as a desert...

Nice proposal though!

Goodness, that surrounding sea of surface parking lots. Environment Canada should declare that as a desert...

Nice proposal though!

That's the Queen Street East Corridor, which was a strip of car dealerships, motels, fast food joints, and small factories and warehouses built in the 1950s through the 1970s. The entire stretch from Centre Street to Rutherford Road is designated for high-density mixed-use development. There are few projects in the pipeline.

This development is a big step to accelerate change in the area. The 10 year old rhythm condo across from it looks so small now.

Queen BRT line is planned to go through here and I would expect a Kennedy Zum line this decade.

I would love to see a seperately divided forum for Brampton projects, it's starting to pick up here.

Yay, more condos most of us can't afford. God forbid the city build some apartments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back