Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is the above application.

No docs yet, only a description. Description references 7s podium, not clear to me if this is inclusive or exclusive of tower heights.

If podium is additional height, then 41s/43s

1633159820358.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=wIFB+3CRU4v14GV8LaoPdg==

Aerial Pic:

1633159726473.png

Site Size 3700m2/40000ft2

Notes:

Podium here almost certainly replaces existing office space on site.

Current owner: Riocan

1633159970116.png

From: https://riocan.propertycapsule.com/property/output/document/view/id:114713

Additional Pic:

1633160138454.png

taken from: https://minettcapital.ca/operating/

Not justifying the excesses of 80's PoMo schlock here...but should this least give us hope that in 33 years the grey spandrel glass boxes being built today will be pulled down for hopefully better development?

As long as Riocan don't go with DIALOG again, just like how they did with the podium disaster show just south of here at 2323 Yonge.

Fair chance they would go with them again though considering proximity of projects and continuity...

That Shoppers, open 24 hours, has to be one of the busiest in the city. I wonder where they will find new or temporary space.

I hope they can recreate a similar stone like podium facade that they have in the photos up above. I would hate to replace that with just plain glass. At least add something like that into the podium.

Not justifying the excesses of 80's PoMo schlock here...but should this least give us hope that in 33 years the grey spandrel glass boxes being built today will be pulled down for hopefully better development?

Easier pulling down a wholly owner office/retail complex. Good luck pulling down a 40 storey condo with hundreds of owners.

Easier pulling down a wholly owner office/retail complex. Good luck pulling down a 40 storey condo with hundreds of owners.
While my question was asked in a degree of sarcasm and faint hope, I get that.

Though I wonder what owners will be left after 33 years with all that dated/dilapidated window walls when there will likely be newer shinies to move into. That's pure speculation I reckon. Either way, I suspect even then those building still may never come down as easily if it's dwellers have mostly moved on to better pastures...

...though I guess there a more pressing meaning to when I say "for the ages" now. /sigh

Yuck!

While my question was asked in a degree of sarcasm and faint hope, I get that.

Though I wonder what owners will be left after 33 years with all that dated/dilapidated window walls when there will likely be newer shinies to move into. That's pure speculation I reckon. Either way, I suspect even then those building still may never come down as easily if it's dwellers have mostly moved on to better pastures...

...though I guess there a more pressing meaning to when I say "for the ages" now. /sigh
It's theoretically possible that buildings that are owned by a developer which are rentals could be torn down in the future. Anything that has individual owners would be near impossible to demolish unless it was for structural/safety reasons.

Toronto does not have the density nor the lack of land supply to be knocking down 100+ meter towers right now though and I highly doubt they will for the foreseeable future. Why spend all that money to demolish when there's an excess of land in and around the downtown cores which can still be intensified.

If I'm reading it correctly, it's 5.2 m for the office floors. Which is not an abnormal figure for office floors. A bit on the higher end, but office floors are indeed 4.5-5.5 metres, iirc.

Back