Since Riocan also intends to redevelop the office building at 2323 Yonge, I would propose looking at that site and this one together as a single redevelopment, and rearranging it so that all the replacement office is in one location.

Of course this is a pipe dream, but my proposed solution would be to do a condo (or rental apartment) conversion of 2323 Yonge Street, retaining the (should-be-heritage) facades on all sides in their entirety. I understand that the office space there might be suboptimal for today's tenants, but I am sure it would be a popular residential conversion. All the office replacement (for 2345 and 2323) would be contained in the podium of 2345 Yonge, with additional density and height provided for the residential towers on 2345 to compensate for that lost from what would have been gained from the 2323 redevelopment.

The City should be on board with this solution as a method of retaining the building at 2323, while maintaining a critical mass of marketable office space at this node.

Riocan should be on board given their large holdings at this intersection and that it would lead to better outcomes for the area as a whole, as well as economies of scale in a more ambitious redevelopment of a single site, rather than wholesale redevelopment of two sites, both with mixed-use programs.

Actually disregard my previous post, most office floors here are 4.5m which is indeed typical. The uppermost office floor is still 6m however, which is well above normal, but may be accommodating something like a transfer slab.

Well at least it's not Turner Fleisher? Because we all know how even more horridly things go when RioCan chooses to partner with them.

Dreadful. Can we petition Queen's Park to send Dialog back to Western Canada?
If anything Queen's Park is applauding this nonsense. They would encourage more firms like this to come to Ontario as long as that means increased political donations for them.

If anything Queen's Park is applauding this nonsense. They would encourage more firms like this to come to Ontario as long as that means increased political donations for them.
They could easily donate to the other parties as well...as I am not sure that's really relevant when it comes to our city being stuck with bargain basement mediocrity.

Toronto Model 10-22-21 2345 Yonge.png

An OPA (Official Plan Amendment) has been added for this one:

1636629017744.png

This should not, so far as I know, represent any change to the project.

The design is abysmal and lacks creativity to an unparalleled degree. The future of this intersection is soul-sucking especially with E2 coming online.

A new rendering is posted on the database. There are many project information changes. The total building count dropped from 2 buildings to 1 building. Total storey count changed from 36 and 34 storeys to only 34 storeys. Height changed from 130.20m & 123.70m to 125.90m. The total unit count changed from 336 & 312 units to 352 units. Finally, parking was reduced from 375 parking spaces to 60 parking spaces.

The rendering was taken from the architectural plan via the Rezoning application:

PLN - Architectural Plans - APR 19  2022-1.jpg

I'm glad they are down to one tower on this tight spot now, but wow, too many elements have been crammed into this design. Having three step-backs doesn't mean we need three sections that are unrelated in a design sense, they should all be of the same family…

…and if you're going to leave a sliver of what the old building looked like, then go the 1 St Clair West route and have the new building's design reflect the old one. The way they have clipped that sliver of old on at the north end of podium is essentially Buffalo Billing it onto the new body, à la Silence of the Lambs. My guess is that Planning is demanding that unfortunate piece of the existing building though (I don't see it in the earlier design), but it really does not do the job.

Back