ZBA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Zoning by-law amendment to facilitate the development of a 41-storey mixed-use building having a residential gross floor area of 31,618 square metres, and a non-residential gross floor area of 1410.0 square metres. A total of 470 residential dwelling units are proposed.

Pretty significant changes along the horizon for the John & Richmond area with this project, the RioCan Hall redevelopment, and the land just to the east. In my mind, this intersection will always be Scotia Bank theatre, Indigo (Michael's store later on), and the Ballroom. So it'll be interesting to see it evolve in the upcoming decade or so.

Current owner has no intention of selling. It'll be a single storey pavilion building (Hooters or not) for some time yet.

How odd.

I have no idea how much business that location does, but I'm told a typical one nets ~300k per year.

On that basis 20 years of profit is worth a lot less than the land, and the latter (cashing out) is much lower risk, with no add-on investment to speak of).

aA

John-Richmond.png

Jr2.png

Nope!

Here's why:

The towers are dull as dishwater.

The terra cotta vertical section on the south podium is the highlight, and this thing would look much better if that carried up the tower in one form or another, as noted by @DavidCapizzano

Also, the retail/grade-level isn't right.

Plus, the relationship to the new park is terrible.

I want patios facing the park!

One more snip, this design will block a lot of western sun from the new 100M worth of land park...

Side note:

This reads as 2 distinct towers to me, yet has no separation distance. The render definitely shows as last some 'facing' windows on the south tower. Are there none on the north component? How's that working?

Back