2448-2450 KINGSTON RD
Ward 20: Scarborough Southwest

1607270574933.png

Renderings:

1607270667033.png

1607270702490.png

Current site:

1607270625427.png

The City likely wants that goofy ground-floor level setback from the existing buildings.

That really doesn't work for me.

The sidewalk is sufficiently wide for existing pedestrian traffic levels.

It could use trees.

But the parking along this strip is under-utilized, notwithstanding that it's free.

There's room to remove a small number of spaces and periodically insert a tree to add some visual appeal and comfort for walkers.

The City likely wants that goofy ground-floor level setback from the existing buildings.

That really doesn't work for me.

The sidewalk is sufficiently wide for existing pedestrian traffic levels.

It could use trees.

But the parking along this strip is under-utilized, notwithstanding that it's free.

There's room to remove a small number of spaces and periodically insert a tree to add some visual appeal and comfort for walkers.
They could be anticipating a restaurant in the commercial space that would use the front patio as outdoor dining space.

Agreed, the setback doesn't make sense to me.

They should maintain the street wall where possible. The overall building seems appropriate in scale, but there should be 3 retail units on the ground floor (to replace the existing) and the glass facade at that level is less than ideal. Why not continue the overall building motif down to the street level?

Although it's insignificant low-rise, this north side stretch of Kingston Road between Sandown and Midland Ave interestingly has the most bare bones fundamental urban dimensions for quite some distance in both directions. Reminds me a bit of the built form along Eglinton West between Allen Road and Caledonia.

To the west of Sandown there's still a steady retail presence on Kingston Rd, but the buildings are more of a semi-plaza format with parking spaces out front. While east of Midland, Kingston Rd breaks down into a more suburban complexion.

2450k.jpg

View attachment 347534
This rendering is the rear of the building.
It is a single lane, two way laneway. City may need to make it a one way laneway once condos start going up along this stretch, best to have it as a westbound one way from Midland Ave.

Back