simthirsty3play

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know whether i speak for everyone on this but...man i just can't stand those ugly apartments right in front of the manulife centre (especially the blue, v-shaped one on the corner of yonge & ?). It just takes the meaning away from the Business Improvement Area (Yonge & Bloor) and there can be lots of potential for some new projects once they are torn down. Why, they can even relocate One Bloor at one of those sites once these atrocious buildings are demolished for good. :D

I don't know whether i speak for everyone on this but...man i just can't stand those ugly apartments right in front of the manulife centre (especially the blue, v-shaped one on the corner of yonge & ?). It just takes the meaning away from the Business Improvement Area (Yonge & Bloor) and there can be lots of potential for some new projects once they are torn down. Why, they can even relocate One Bloor at one of those sites once these atrocious buildings are demolished for good. :D

What apartments in front of the Manulife Centre, what blue v-shaped apartments?

What apartments in front of the Manulife Centre, what blue v-shaped apartments?

i didn't mean it that close. but somewhat close. It's one of those apartments that is slightly v-shaped. As for what street it is located, i have no idea. I saw it in a picture on a thread in skyscrapercity and i'd figure that somebody here would know what i'm talking about......:confused:

i didn't mean it that close. but somewhat close. It's one of those apartments that is slightly v-shaped. As for what street it is located, i have no idea. I saw it in a picture on a thread in skyscrapercity and i'd figure that somebody here would know what i'm talking about......:confused:

OK, I think you mean 25 St. Mary Street

It just takes the meaning away from the Business Improvement Area (Yonge & Bloor) and there can be lots of potential for some new projects once they are torn down. Why, they can even relocate One Bloor at one of those sites once these atrocious buildings are demolished for good.

These old slab maybe ugly however, I don't think tearing down 750 units of student residences or 25 St Mary (which I noticed was built to higher standard on my brief infiltration) for more glass shoeboxes would be a community improvement over the long haul.

Leave it be (more or less). There's enough of an "embodied energy" argument to act as disincentive for a 25 St Mary teardown--and besides, whatever its aesthetics or urban stance, it's hardly an oppressive bunker or a blighted slum. Just a straightforward white brick middle class apartment tower...

I'm not sure if it's because this building was one of my first apartments when I moved to Toronto, but I have a soft spot for 25 St. Mary. Although it's a little out of style, it's well-maintained and is consequently home to a lot of long-term residents. Has anyone ever seen the installation in the lobby that has the "history" of the building? It's got some pretty neat aerial pictures of the area from about 50 years ago..

The interior of the place is ugly. It wasn't very well maintained. For example, there is a pool there which cannot be used AFAIK, and hasn't been for decades.

Then again, it historically has been a relatively cheap building in which to live. It also has nicely proportioned units, way bigger than the multitude of cramped closets that pass for condos these days.

BTW, it was one of the "pioneering" tall apt. buildings when there was nothing else around.

BTW, it was one of the "pioneering" tall apt. buildings when there was nothing else around.

You're quite right. It was the tallest building in the Yonge/Bloor area and possibly outside the CBD, though I'm unsure whether it is taller than Vaseline Towers or which of the two is oldest. I've always had a fondness for it though I'm not too fond about the recent exterior renovation.

Last edited:
The interior of the place is ugly. It wasn't very well maintained. For example, there is a pool there which cannot be used AFAIK, and hasn't been for decades.

Wasn't the pool removed as part of the recent renovation?

Dunno, but you're probably right: I would assume it's now gone, considering it hadn't been used in just about forever.

The land around this building (specifically along Inkerman St) might be a good place for some townhouse infill, similar to what has been happening along Spadina in the Annex - http://annexterraces.ca/.
There were some townhouses built behind it a couple of decades ago and as you might expect they suit the area quite nicely.

Yes, the pool was recently removed to provide additional parking. I also like the building, especially the well cared for grounds. It's interesting to note that all the way up St. Nicholas from Wellesley to Charles, I don't think there's 1 blade of grass, except for the grounds of 25 St. Mary.

Back