PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Just north of the 401.

2499 VICTORIA PARK AVE
Ward 22 - Scarborough District

Redevelopment of to permit an 11-storey mixed-use building with ground floor retail, residential above and below grade parking.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Site Plan Approval​
20 191765 ESC 22 SA​
Sep 10, 2020​
Under Review​
Rezoning​
20 191759 ESC 22 OZ​
Sep 10, 2020​
Under Review​

1600208829971.png

1600208860950.png

1600208880993.png

1600208896210.png

Site as it currently exists, looking north from from Farmcrest Drive:

1600212805953.png

Looking North-East from Victoria Park Avenue:

1600212859659.png

Looking South from Meadowacres Drive

1600212973896.png

Reactions: PMT
More density in the Vic Park & Sheppard area. With the large Lansing Square redevelopment along with a few other projects to the east on the horizon, a Sheppard subway line extension for at least VP (and Consumers) is becoming increasingly important IMO.

Renderings from today's UT article:

1602702435105.png

1602702467299.png

Attachments

• 1602702449401.png
    1602702449401.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 255
As soon as I saw this, it reminded of this build which is close by at Warden and Lawrence. Probably where they got the "inspiration" from:

1602738698046.png

Interesting how height and density changes throughout this east-west corridor.

At Yonge, Bayview, and Don Mills and the 401 there would be no hesitation for high-rise built form. Here at Vic Park, they only went with a (still fairly dense) 11s structure.

So wait that entire plaza of buildings is going? If I lived in the area I’d be pissed. It’s a nice replacement and all... but seems like a lot of stores going to be replace with none at all. Kinda wrong ain’t it.

So wait that entire plaza of buildings is going? If I lived in the area I’d be pissed. It’s a nice replacement and all... but seems like a lot of stores going to be replace with none at all. Kinda wrong ain’t it.
It's two drive-thru restaurants and the new development will have street-fronting retail.

At Yonge, Bayview, and Don Mills and the 401 there would be no hesitation for high-rise built form. Here at Vic Park, they only went with a (still fairly dense) 11s structure.

The centrality and close proximity to subway access raises the profile of Yonge, Bayview, Don Mills, and even Leslie. Although, what's interesting is that density picks up significantly again once you go further east at Kennedy.

This site is located at the southeast corner of the ConsumersNext Secondary Plan with max. height of 36 metres and density of 3.0 FSI. Height and density decrease further away from Sheppard. I think the height is fine as it transitions to the low-density residential area to the east. I also don't mind the massing, though not sure if it's within the permitted density.

There's a Wendy's, Sleep Country and Tim Horton's plus King George's Arms. I'm sad about the latter as it is one of the few local watering holes in the area and has a lot of regulars. I've spent many nights and dollars here. I don't go as often since I'm closer to Danforth, but it's still my default meet-up spot with friends who have also moved out of the area.

Preliminary report on this one to the next Scarborough Community Council meeting on January 6th.

Report link here:

From the report:

Staff are concerned about the intensity of the proposed development, as the building footprint occupies the entire block within the setback lines and provides limited soft landscaped areas at grade. The massing of the front of the building fits within a 45-degree angular plane from Victoria Park Avenue. However, the wings of the building along Meadowacres Drive and Farmcrest Drive greatly exceed the built form relationship expected by the Secondary Plan along local streets. Specifically, the building wings do not comply with OPA 393 policy 5.16.5(b) that requires building mass along local streets to fall beneath 45-degree angular planes applied at 80% of the width of the local right-of-way. The placement of the proposed outdoor amenity space on the 4th floor between the two building wings would receive very limited sunlight due to the surrounding building mass.

New renderings are updated in the database. Unit counts went from 354 to 306. The parking count reduced from 177 to 153 and finally, the building height went from 41.60m to 43.55. Renderings are taken from the architectural plans via the Rezoning Application.

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 28  2021-441.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 28  2021-442.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 28  2021-440.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - OCT 28  2021-443.jpg

Urban planning wise I find Victoria Park a dog's breakfast. Really some type of cohesive strategy from St. Clair to Steels would be most welcome.

Back