Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lobbyist registry shows IBI as lobbying on possible redevelopment here.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32530​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

266 Royal York Road

Client is: Royal Mimico Developments Limited

Streetview:

1636049681009.png

Aerial Pic:

1636049769212.png

Site Size: ~ 0.65ha/1.6ac

This site has been around for a while and is a doozy. It has major noise attenuation requirements on any west facade due to the Willowbrook Railyard. Any residential mid or highrise will likely feature no balconies, a solid wall or even a single-loaded corridor facing west. It also has split zoning/OP where the west side of the site is Employment. I am guessing we'll see some wonky above-grade parking and a very inefficient highrise due to the above. The buyer bought in May 2021 for $28.25M under a lawyer so not sure who is developing it.

Check out what the neighbouring towns had to do in the back because of the Railyard (no operable windows or balconies, a big solid wall etc.):
1636063864856.png

Won't be long before they take the other two industrial properties. And clean up the end of that street with condos!

Yet another case where I say taper down to the neighborhood environment, I dont care what the proximity is to Mimico GO is. This thing would stick out like a hilariously real bad sore thumb.

Ok, I've taken a moment to reflect on the above, my thoughts:

1) The building is too bulky looking

2) The architectural expression overall is odd, with the main tower feeling like a bulky 80s era office tower with balconies grafted on.

3) The architectural expression facing Royal York is both bizarre and unbecoming. The grade level with the all-glass, and excess height doesn't work.

4) I'm amused at the self-storage building essentially as the solution for the railway (we're seeing this in multiple locations across the City.

Summary: Total re-think required.

To make it even better, the 1113sf unit at the bottom right appears to have only a single window in the rendering!

Burn it with fire. Who in the hell is the developer here?

Edit: Fieldgate.
That's nothing. The 877 sf unit behind the elevator core has no door. I'm assuming it is to be marketed to spiderman, entrance off the balcony.

Those super skinny, notched units are ridiculous. I hope the City is able to lean heavily on this plan to get it thoroughly reworked.
That's nothing. The 877 sf unit behind the elevator core has no door. I'm assuming it is to be marketed to spiderman, entrance off the balcony.
Suite doors get missed on lots of plans (and that's the least of the issue with these layouts)!

Back