Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
287 CHRISTIE ST
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

Development Applications

Project description:
Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application to faciliate the development of the lands for a 7-storey residential building having a gross floor area 3360 square metres. A total of 39 residential dwelling units and 14 parking spaces located within a parking stacker are proposed.

The site consists of a vacant lot (291 Christie), a two-storey detached house (289 Christie), & a two-storey commercial/residential building (287 Christie)

1619849780742.png

1619849730917.png

Attachments

• 1619849756878.png
    1619849756878.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
Oh nice, I can finally live next to a Jehovah's Witness convent. They can strike up conversations with me right in my lobby--what an amenity!!

On a serious note, this site is tiny. But it's good to see midrise densification, I guess. Though I wonder what the PSF will be like given the small number of units.

Might be instructive in densifying the yellowbelt.

Good to see something happening here, especially for that long neglected north property. This is the type of intensification that should be encouraged for streets like Christie and Bathurst.

As other, wiser, folks have pointed out, stuff like this should line this type of stretch of Christie, Bathurst, Ossington, Dufferin, and Spadina between the higher density clusters.
And the insides of the blocks :)

Yup. East end too. I don't like the onerous height restrictions in the new King-Parliament plan, but if they lined most King, Parliament, Richmond, Adelaide, etc. with stuff like this, I'd be perfectly happy.
And west end downtown shoulder areas.

Yup. East end too. I don't like the onerous height restrictions in the new King-Parliament plan, but if they lined most King, Parliament, Richmond, Adelaide, etc. with stuff like this, I'd be perfectly happy.

I would say more than the east part of downtown, but the same goes for similar thoroughfares east of the Don through Leslieville and in East York. Pape, Jones, Donlands, Greenwood, Coxwell, Main, etc.

I would say more than the east part of downtown, but the same goes for similar thoroughfares east of the Don through Leslieville and in East York. Pape, Jones, Donlands, Greenwood, Coxwell, Main, etc.
Definitely everywhere. I just mentioned those streets because it's where I live. We need this all over.

As other, wiser, folks have pointed out, stuff like this should line this type of stretch of Christie, Bathurst, Ossington, Dufferin, and Spadina between the higher density clusters.

Most stretches of these streets downtown (and many more across the city as people point out) aren't even used in anywhere close to an effective way nor do they really have much life or places of interest along them (with some notable stretches and exceptions of course).

Mostly they're just lined with houses (houses!!) all battened up against the hostile, oppressive, concrete, sun-drenched deserts and narrow sidewalk, vehicular speedzone deathtraps that are these streets. The fact that anyone in this city looks at these streets and is like "ya that's fine, this is a good use of our major downtown streets" is so beyond absurd.

Encouraging more residential density along all these kinds of streets combined with reinvigorating (where it already exists but often lies fallow) and expanding the mainstreet fine-grain storefront topology along with some minor streetscaping to make these streets more pleasant places would be an absolute home run of a city building project for any leader with vision, but unfortunately we seem to have very few to zero of those on council.

Most stretches of these streets downtown (and many more across the city as people point out) aren't even used in anywhere close to an effective way nor do they really have much life or places of interest along them (with some notable stretches and exceptions of course).

Mostly they're just lined with houses (houses!!) all battened up against the hostile, oppressive, concrete, sun-drenched deserts and narrow sidewalk, vehicular speedzone deathtraps that are these streets. The fact that anyone in this city looks at these streets and is like "ya that's fine, this is a good use of our major downtown streets" is so beyond absurd.

Encouraging more residential density along all these kinds of streets combined with reinvigorating (where it already exists but often lies fallow) and expanding the mainstreet fine-grain storefront topology along with some minor streetscaping to make these streets more pleasant places would be an absolute home run of a city building project for any leader with vision, but unfortunately we seem to have very few to zero of those on council.

These are all excellent points, made even more nuts by the fact that: Christie has regular bus service; Bathurst has streetcar service; Ossington has very frequent bus service; Dufferin has very frequent bus service and is supposedly getting BRT at some point; and Spadina has a subway station at both Dupont and Bloor.

Really, you could make the argument for densifying those streets on any number of singular strategic objectives City Council has officially endorsed (but nonetheless refuses to actually implement in practice); yet, still, relative stasis.

I think it’s because Toronto is fairly…provincial. Sometimes I think Councillors don’t really accept the fact that it’s a city, really - more like a collection of roads holding together suburbs and a CBD.

And of course, the famous Toronto “default No”, comes into play here as well. To line these streets with higher density would involve change, and we are very, very resistant to it.

Event Information: 287, 289 and 291 Christie Street Community Consultation Meeting

Date and time:Tuesday, November 30, 2021 6:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:1 hour 30 minutes
Description:
The City has received an application by Christie Street Holdings Limited to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to permit a 7-storey building with 39 residential units (including 4 live/work units), 14 vehicular parking spaces within a parking stacker system and 54 bicycle parking spaces.

For further information on this application, please refer to the contact information below or view the submission materials on the Application Information Centre at: https://www.toronto.ca/287ChristieSt

Back