Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application for a 44s residential building on a site essentially adjacent to Eglinton GO Stn.

Site as is:

1666872855438.png

The App:

1666872801045.png

From the Docs:

1666873126499.png

1666873194295.png

1666873272264.png

1666873307730.png

1666873334861.png

1666873486564.png

Ground Level Plan:

1666873859508.png

1666873682234.png

1666873710724.png

Parking Ratio: 0.5

Comments:

The height ask here is a bit much based on area precedent, and will be relying heavily on both MTSA and on the potential precedent of another proposal we're tracking here at UT, essentially across the street at 2956 Eglinton:

Even in the above case, the 'ask' is 37s. There is nothing here, in this proposal that compels me to think it should expect to set the new precedent here, I can't imagine the City will feel any different.

We're not going to talk about this KirKor design........as that's no way to start a day............... LOL

Except.........

What is with that ground floor? I mean everything about it! A proposed landscape that would tuck trees and vegetation up tight to the building, not only doing nothing for the public realm, but making the proposed retail nearly invisible and likely
causing building management/ownership future headaches with trees right next to the foundation/parking, and grade-level windows.

Also....this site has a footprint of over 40,000ft2.

But the proposal is for retail to occupy 3,000ft2.

Now part of that is that the building occupies a suprisingly small amount of the set area, with a large setback from Eglinton, green buffers on two sides and a private road/lane on the other.

I disagree with that layout, you need separation distances for the tower, but you don't want them between buildings at-grade along Eglinton where you want to create a retail high street vibe.

Frankly, it leaves a lot of money on the table.

Perhaps more important, with a site of this size, it ignores the obvious benefit of a locating a supermarket here. There's ample room, you're next to GO Station and there is already significant density nearby and lots more en route.

There are a few small neighbourhood grocers, but currently the nearest 'majors' are 500M away (Walmart), and 1km away, No Frills and Metro respectively.

Psst, all of those sites will be considered for redevelopment in due course, creating the opportunity to host a re-lo.

Additionally, the Walmart and Metro, located to the east, are on the farside of the railway underpass, which will make them less desirable as destinations for customers here.

Indoor Amenity space should move to the second floor.

The parking ratio should decline.

Then we've got the basis of a good idea here...........give or take some aesthetic considerations.

Just wondering what the height of this tower is if someone knows this?

Just over 206M according to the site plan I posted above.

Hmm, the elevation drawings don't match this..........

I believe the stat. above was for the area of the floorplate at the top of the MPH.

Last edited:
Just over 206M according to the site plan I posted above.
Are you sure wow! I thought it wasn't going to make the 150m mark for skyscraper status. The condo floor plates must be over 10ft. love to see the site plan info if possible. Holy smokes we got another proposed skyscraper in TO!

Are you sure wow! I thought it wasn't going to make the 150m mark for skyscraper status. The condo floor plates must be over 10ft. love to see the site plan info if possible. Holy smokes we got another proposed skyscraper in TO!

I think you're right.

The elevation drawings have a much shorter height.

143.8m

1666881696019.png

...adding to our Transit-Oriented Development watch list.

sad that this random stacked box design has become so popular now... none of the newer ones seem to have any thought or flow to them. total eyesore.

Back