PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
30 MERTON ST
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate construction of a mixed use building (37 storeys) containing 315 rental apartments with142 above-grade parking spaces, and an underground commercial parking garage

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 17 173706 STE 22 OZ Jun 5, 2017 Application Received

Current site:
upload_2017-6-6_10-36-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-6_10-36-18.png
    upload_2017-6-6_10-36-18.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4,571
So much parking within walking distance to the subway, and yet I can't think of any particular destinations that justify retaining the commercial parking aspect.

And above-grade parking for the rentals? Ick, why?!

30 MERTON ST
Ward 22 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate construction of a mixed use building (37 storeys) containing 315 rental apartments with142 above-grade parking spaces, and an underground commercial parking garage

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 17 173706 STE 22 OZ Jun 5, 2017 Application Received

Current site:
View attachment 111090

Good riddance.

So much parking within walking distance to the subway, and yet I can't think of any particular destinations that justify retaining the commercial parking aspect.

And above-grade parking for the rentals? Ick, why?!

I used to live in the area and although I never saw the parking lot at capacity I believe usage probably came from the surrounding office buildings and residents who didn't have enough parking available at their building. Merton street could use more animation, I hope this will building will have a few small retails spaces for independent shops.

Typically the city only allows above grade parking for public parking. I imagine that they are justifying this one as the resident spots being above ground simply as a parking allocation decision.

Typically the city only allows above grade parking for public parking. I imagine that they are justifying this one as the resident spots being above ground simply as a parking allocation decision.

Or they could ditch the commercial aspect. I say it with hesitation, as there must be some justified demand that they are including it in the development. But at the same time, are we focused on sustaining current uses or city-building? In addition, it's private parking, not Green P.

The only recent example of a recent development with above grade parking that comes to mind is 501 Yonge, and that was because it is directly overtop of the subway tunnel.

Then you have Cinema Tower with its embarrassing, Flintstones, "Yabba-dabba-doo", entrance and cladding...

Above-grade parking is extraordinarily hard to do and the result really depends on the parties involved.

There has been a fair share of towers proposed with above grade parking only to have it changed to underground.

Uptown has it. Market Wharf has it. River City has it. Backstage has it. Exhibit has it. 87 Peter is being built with lots of above ground parking. Time and Space will have it as will Canada House. West Village, One Valhalla and Two Gibbs all beside the 427 have or will have it, as will IQ Condos phase 3 on the Gardiner. I know I'm missing some. Above ground parking is not quite as rare as is being portrayed, but the City does want it hidden.

Uptown has it. Market Wharf has it. River City has it. Backstage has it. Exhibit has it. 87 Peter is being built with lots of above ground parking. Time and Space will have it as will Canada House. West Village, One Valhalla and Two Gibbs all beside the 427 have or will have it, as will IQ Condos phase 3 on the Gardiner. I know I'm missing some. Above ground parking is not quite as rare as is being portrayed, but the City does want it hidden.

There's a Time and Space for it.

^yes.

Typically, there are two scenarios where you see it.

1. public parking
2. some other scenario where it makes it desirable. This includes as a buffer to a major highway or rail line, or because you have a subway line underneath, or floodplain issues, etc.

Market Wharf has public parking (1)
River City is in a floodplain and can't do underground (2)
Backstage is providing parking for both L tower and Backstage, and uses it as a railway buffer (2)
Exhibit is over the subway (2)
87 Peter has public parking (1)
Time and Space has public parking I'm pretty sure (1)
Canada House - not so sure on that one actually. Public parking maybe? A rare exception?
West Village, One Valhalla, Two Givvs, and IQ Condos all use it as a highway buffer (2)

^yes.

Typically, there are two scenarios where you see it.

1. public parking
2. some other scenario where it makes it desirable. This includes as a buffer to a major highway or rail line, or because you have a subway line underneath, or floodplain issues, etc.

Market Wharf has public parking (1)
River City is in a floodplain and can't do underground (2)
Backstage is providing parking for both L tower and Backstage, and uses it as a railway buffer (2)
Exhibit is over the subway (2)
87 Peter has public parking (1)
Time and Space has public parking I'm pretty sure (1)
Canada House - not so sure on that one actually. Public parking maybe? A rare exception?
West Village, One Valhalla, Two Givvs, and IQ Condos all use it as a highway buffer (2)

So I guess in this case, it's public parking; there's no need to buffer against anything. But the public parking is underground, and the residents above. So my questions are:
  1. How many spots are proposed for the public parking? Is it less or more than the resident parking? Are we putting the smaller component above grade?
  2. Why can't all parking be underground? Is there a site constraint?

Back