302 rental units, Quadrangle:

43tefsd.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 3.13.59 PM.png

So many of the brick apartment towers of that era are poorly proportioned, contribute nothing to street life because of tower-in-the-park massing, and have no architectural details besides rows of balconies. It doesn't strike me as a golden age for apartment building design to seek inspiration from.

Painting with a broad brush much? Also, don't blame 'architecture' for the faults of a failed urban planning paradigm.

In the end, the combination of uninspired design and the urban planning paradigm that you speak of means we that have a large number of generic apartment buildings from the 1960s and 1970s in the inner suburbs that also fail to result in vibrant streets. They're both architecturally generic and poorly planned.

It's fair to look at the link between architecture and urban planning since architects like Le Corbusier were proponents of towers-in-the-park planning. Montreal has a better collection of apartment buildings to seek inspiration from in terms of scale, proportions, architectural character, and relationship to the street.

Giving it a look see, I certainly support new purpose-built rental.

The appearance could be better...............

But I think my only serious critque would be this corner would benefit from a supermarket/and or other retail, and I've love to see that incorporated into the podium.

There is currently no retail in the proposal.

The nearest retail of consequence is Bridletown at Finch/Warden. It's not that far, but this level of density and prospective density suggests a shorter walk should be possible to area retail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proposal has been revised. North tower reduced from 16 to 15 storeys in order to fall within a 45-degree angular plane. North tower also now stepped back three metres on the east and west sides to create a five-storey podium. 303 rentals, 21% of which are three-bedroom units.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.41.50 AM.png

Am I crazy or are these like actually really nice?

Would not mind taking this Quadrangle design to more sites closer to downtown.

Site Plan application submitted.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 1.17.39 PM.png

Scarborough apartment owner wants more buildings at Pharmacy and Finch

These days, owners see value in “underused space” around rental apartment buildings. That’s why two 16-storey towers connected by a five-storey base are proposed beside an existing tower at a corner of Finch and Pharmacy avenues in Agincourt.
Scarborough Community Council gave the plan for 302 rental units at 3050 Pharmacy Ave. preliminary approval in March 2019.

JUST THE FACTS

• Park Property Management would keep maintaining an existing 18-storey building with 253 rental units on the property’s north end, which has its driveway on Chester Le Boulevard. City planners have rejected the owner’s proposal for a right-in, right-out driveway on Pharmacy.

• At a community meeting last May, residents were told most of the new apartments are two-bedroom or three-bedroom units — significant since household sizes in the L’Amoreaux neighbourhood average 2.9 persons.

• The proposal says current residents of 3050 Pharmacy will use indoor and outdoor amenities in the new buildings. Amenity spaces in the existing building’s basement will be improved.

Back