carrythezero

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the latest H&R REIT investor update:

310 Front.PNG

That seems like an odd thing to do, 310 is a fairly new building (1989). H&R announced they were cutting back so I wonder if this is still true.

Last edited:
Not that surprised (though I know nothing about the context of H&R cutting back). I feel like a lot of the shorter (relatively speaking) buildings in this area are going to be redevelopment sites over the next couple decades or so, regardless of how new they are or not. (Not speaking about this from an ethical perspective of if they should be redeveloped or not, that's just I imagine what will happen.)

P.S. does anyone know what the situation is with the parking lot next door to the east? Tower separation distance might make development in there tricky, but it's a rare downtown parking lot, so I wonder.

Isn't there another proposal at the northwest corner of the block, at Wellington and Blue Jays Way?

So they're looking at redeveloping the building on the right hand side of this pic:

1615761701015.png

Seems to me like that will create a mish-mash of architectural styles.

The potential floor plate isn't bad, though slightly sub-optimal for office side in today's market.

1615761851908.png

I can understand the thought process that leaves the northern building, as separation distances would eat-in to any rebuild there.

Still, if one were to consider redeveloping this space, I think it would probably make more sense to look at all three buildings together.

~
Those 2 buildings on the south are only 17M apart; a non-issue currently with both uses being office, their comparative short-ness.

But depending on the layout of a new tower on the east side of the site, it may impair redevelopment of the western tower; same owner, so that would be their choice.

Likewise, the northerly building is as close as 11M to the south-eastern one targeted for redevelopment.

Hmmm

My thought is that might impair long-term potential.

But it's not my lot!

Though I love skyscrapers it's sad to see this nice looking tower get torn down for another all glass skyscraper. It would be nice if they built in the middle between the three towers. Having a glass artruim as high towers and starting the condo floors on top. As seen in the photos up above if you can visualize that.

Goodness, that's going to throw off the synergy of the other two building there.

This influx of proposals feels like commercial REITs trying to simulate demand and flip their properties. Maybe I’m just skeptical of a full return to office after this stint of working from home. Something about this proposal strikes me as speculative for some reason

Back