Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
312 BROWNS LINE
Ward 3: Etobicoke-Lakeshore

Development Applications

Project description:
Proposed new 5-storey mix-use building with twelve 1-bedroom units, one 3-bedrooms unit and a commercial unit on the ground level.

The site consists of a single storey commercial building & a two-storey mixed use building.

1619592705349.png

1619592975737.png

There really needs to be some more mid-rise intensification along Brown's Line, i'm not sure how this area has escaped development. Well actually I kind of do, Mark Grimes has done a good job at appeasing his local NIMBYs since this is right in his home turf (he lives in the area).

There are some good independent shops around so i'm not saying every single property need this but there are obvious properties, such as:

This:
1619621673966.png

Or this:
1619621578105.png

And this:
1619621631760.png

Agreed - Brown's Line has the strong bones in place to be a nice midrise strip like what's happening on St. Clair. A new one just wrapped up at the south west corner of Horner, though its ugly as sin.

Last edited:
I wish anyone willing to try and build out here 'good luck', but I don't see much activity happening in the near future. Construction costs are what they are and if you can't recoup that in higher psf sales figures, you're not going to make any project work.

I wish anyone willing to try and build out here 'good luck', but I don't see much activity happening in the near future. Construction costs are what they are and if you can't recoup that in higher psf sales figures, you're not going to make any project work.
Genuine question for you; why dont you see any larger scale residential ventures in the area being successful?

I mean the whole Brown's Line strip is in close proximity to both the 427, Gardiner, and QEW. Not to mention within 5 mins of Long Branch GO. Are those not good enough selling features these days, especially with demand remaining pretty strong with no signs of easing in the future?

The ravine system is close for recreational use, along side some good schools and parks.

The majority of Brown's Line isn't CR - it's either R, RA or E - all not good places to try and stick density. Of the small strip between Homer and Jellicoe that is CR, the sites aren't very deep and most seem individually owned. Just too much of a headache to make good financial sense of a project. But *grain of salt*, that's just me.

For reference, red and orange = can build, yellow and purple = can't build:

1619638664563.png

@Amare

^Eventually many developers wont have much of a choice but to start seeking out available plots of land such as the above noted strips, even though it may not be as profitable.

I find it funny when people (i'm not saying you in particular) say we need to start consolidating and upsizing single family dwellings, when there are still available properties such as the ones noted above.

^I think we'll upzone the yellowbelt eventually. The real question is how much damage we'll do to affordability in the interim.

New renderings are updated in the database! However, there is no new information updated in the following database.

Renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-4.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-5.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-6.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-30.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-32.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-36.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-39.jpg

Attachments

• PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-34.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17 2022-34.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 51
  • PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17  2022-31.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 17 2022-31.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
Nice. Hope this is the beginning of more of the same. With the GO station at the bottom of Browns and the connection to the Lake Shore street car line (will it ever function again?), not to mention the 427/QEW this is a good candidate for various forms of intensification. Now can they deal with the on street parking (another area without much in the way of bicycle lanes) and the hideous forest of overhead wiring (not accurately depicted in the drawings). Two basic requirements to improve the public realm.

Back