It's not particularly noteworthy.

thano.jpg

Source

Leave aside cleaners then, just for the sake of argument. Lots of people other than cleaners need vehicles for work., eg a regional sales representative. Or aside from work, the residents may have a cottage or grandchildren living in a place not easily accessible by public transport, or other circumstances that make one need or at least very much want a vehicle.

Leave aside cleaners then, just for the sake of argument. Lots of people other than cleaners need vehicles for work., eg a regional sales representative. Or aside from work, the residents may have a cottage or grandchildren living in a place not easily accessible by public transport, or other circumstances that make one need or at least very much want a vehicle.

While that is true, it's worth saying, no one is requiring this building to come in with no parking.

We don't know what parking may be proposed here yet.

But, if, for argument's sake this proposal came in with zero parking, no one is being compelled to buy/rent a unit in this (proposed) complex. Presumably, those who need a car will choose a different project for their needs.

The proposal is situated, more or less on top of 2 subway lines, and an LRT/streetcar corridor w/underground loop.

It's a very walkable area, with a full-service supermarket, literally steps away.

There aren't too many places in the City where a better case for zero parking could be made.

All that said, perhaps we could just wait and see what's actually proposed?

Err...so what's happening with the neighbour now?

...I thought there was some deal worked out with this to restore that elder structure beside it that this proposal is planning to bowl over.

While that is true, it's worth saying, no one is requiring this building to come in with no parking.

We don't know what parking may be proposed here yet.

But, if, for argument's sake this proposal came in with zero parking, no one is being compelled to buy/rent a unit in this (proposed) complex. Presumably, those who need a car will choose a different project for their needs.

The proposal is situated, more or less on top of 2 subway lines, and an LRT/streetcar corridor w/underground loop.

It's a very walkable area, with a full-service supermarket, literally steps away.

There aren't too many places in the City where a better case for zero parking could be made.

All that said, perhaps we could just wait and see what's actually proposed?
Why is it always about the individual's needs? Never about visitor's parking?
A private parking spot for guests is always nice to have. The last thing anyone needs is the stress of visitors coming over from pretty much anywhere for a visit and not knowing where to direct them to park their car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't necessarily include all the addresses on this application, but 332 Bloor St W (the Scotiabank property), is listed on First Capital's portfolio:

Can confirm, as per the Lobbyist Registry that this one is First Capital.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32555​

Why is it always about the individual's needs? Never about visitor's parking?
A private parking spot for guests is always nice to have. The last thing anyone needs is the stress of visitors coming over from pretty much anywhere for a visit and not knowing where to direct them to park their car.
They can park their car at any TTC lot in town, there are several to choose from, likely one convenient to their needs.

I'm sure there is a demographic of people would would certainly like to buy a condo and save on the condo fees of maintaining a massive parking garage that they do not intend to use (I know that is certainly something I would prefer, given the choice). Having a mix of condos with and without parking is healthy for the city. The idea that everything we do must cater to those who own a car because they are somehow superior to those who do not is ridiculous.

They can park their car at any TTC lot in town, there are several to choose from, likely one convenient to their needs.

Just to build on this...........there are two types of visitor parking demand, as I see it.

The first, is discretionary. This is the vast majority of demand. People who face little or no obstacle, physical or financial to arriving by some means other than a car; or who can easily to choose to park at a nearby paid facility and walk the 1, 2 or 3 blocks to the home of their friends or family.

The second is people who either face a material obstacle, to using transit/walking etc.in every day circumstances, and/or have a special situation (piled high w/gifts for a birthday or Christmas or the like).

I'm not unsympathetic here. In the latter days of my mother's life, she faced both physical, and cognitive challenges that made it near impossible for her to travel w/o me, or travel any distance on her own (COPD and dementia, in the form of short-term memory loss and some disorientation).

To be blunt, that sucks, for the person experiencing it, as well as for any friend/family member who needs to help. That said; such circumstances are comparatively rare, thankfully.

They are also addressable in any number of ways.

That some of these are less than optimal is to be charitable................but the idea that a few more parking spots is the solution, is at best, overly simplistic.

Nonetheless, if the argument is for a few spaces (literally a handful) for those w/exceptional needs; I'm very much open to that. If the argument is for spaces for those who don't NEED them, that's a bit less persuasive.

Even if one doesn't drive, they shouldn't have friends & family that have to park their car so far away that they need TTC to visit them.

I'm sure there is a demographic of people would would certainly like to buy a condo and save on the condo fees of maintaining a massive parking garage that they do not intend to use (I know that is certainly something I would prefer, given the choice). Having a mix of condos with and without parking is healthy for the city. The idea that everything we do must cater to those who own a car because they are somehow superior to those who do not is ridiculous.
It's Ironic because I don't drive and I still disagree with you.
However, I do agree that maybe a condo with a Green P parking garage might be acceptable to better meet one's parking needs. (ie Rise Condos @ St. Clair & Bathurst)

Last edited:

Back