Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
3291 KINGSTON RD
Ward 20: Scarborough Southwest

1603457572283.png

No description on the Dev App site, but here's an article with more info:

LCH Developments hosted a virtual meeting for residents in July on its proposal to replace three storeys of apartments at 3291 Kingston, and houses at 2 and 4 Windy Ridge with 367 condominium units on 12 storeys.

Current site:

1603457678982.png

3291 KINGSTON RD
Ward 20: Scarborough Southwest

View attachment 278474

No description on the Dev App site, but here's an article with more info:

From the article linked above...........the local Nimbys are up in arms:

Homeowners also say the development would "damage the ecosystems and forests" they value. Windy Ridge is near the Doris McCarthy Trail, an entrance to the future Scarborough waterfront trail below the bluffs. To make its point, the association wants the contest, which runs through January, to capture the area’s beauty.

Below, I have an aerial view with the site (roughly) outlined in white. I'm not sure where the position of the rear lot-line is for the Kingston Rd fronting property.

You can see the Doris McCarthy Trail labelled in the pic towards the bottle (south-west) of the photo.

It is one serious reach to describe this proposal as a threat to that trail.

The closest point distance (again, roughly) btw the proposed building at the trees on this trail is about 90M.

The only arguable threat, other than precedent, is one of shadowing. But w/o doing a full modelling exercise, I can reasonably ascertain, w/this site being to the north-east of the trail, that impacts will not be particularly severe, especially at 90M away, and only 12 storeys in height.

1603459685496.png

The current trail actually has its entrance off of Bellehaven Crescent, even further away.
(from Streetview)

1603460182886.png

If the residents seriously value this trail; they should prioritize some parkland aqusition dollars for the gas station site on Kingston Rd located btw this proposal as the ravine corridor.

This would avoid the issue of precedent negatively affecting the trail, but would also grow a very narrow natural corridor and permit the trail to be extended to Kingston Rd, broadening access to and awareness of same.

This is an aerial of the gas station in question:

1603460369425.png

Finally this is the street view where the ravine fronts Kingston Rd. Current sans any trail or entrance.

1603460460549.png

Site Plan Description updated:

Site Plan application which proposes the development of an 11-storey residential building containing 309 dwelling units and a total GFA of 20,983.9 m2. A total of 287 vehicle parking spaces and 233 bicycle parking spaces are proposed.

Docs are up:

1642125918919.png

1642125970093.png

1642125996668.png

1642126023917.png

Site Plan Description updated:

Docs are up:

View attachment 374695

View attachment 374696

View attachment 374697

View attachment 374698

Ok......

LOL

I was going to say something nice about this proposal overall, notwithstanding the renders.....that leave something to be desired.....

But....I just need to roast the client's planning firm here.

From the cover letter:

1642129163653.png

Now what you need to know.....is that immediately above this paragraph is a list of 37 items..........

If I were the planner on this file I might be slightly perturbed.........

Can you not simply say which documents are unchanged, amended or new.

Looking at the landscape plan: Lots of non-native choices here, some relatively obscure, as in I'm going to have to consult some folks as to the risks of their being invasive

Some of the justification given for non-native choice, particularly Acer Tatricum which is an Asian Maple....... is low hydro wires..........

I don't suppose anyone considered burying the wires to fix that?

1642129485538.png

Why the hell are we using a European Juniper? Juniper is native to Ontario..........just put the right soil and drainage in, it will do fine......a

I get the coneflower choice, although not native to Ontario it's native a couple of hours to the south, still lots of room for improvement.

Hey Everyone, my name’s Ryan and I’m the Development Manager on this and other LCH Projects – I just wanted to (re)introduce myself to the Forum. Not many developers do it and I know its well appreciated when it happens.

A bit of my background – I actually first got interested in development browsing the forums and learned a lot from the commentary that goes on here. I also wrote articles part-time for UT for nearly two years, which itself was a full-time education in planning and development.

I know there’s a lot of experts on here and I’m looking forward to seeing the feedback on this and other projects. Feel free to PM me anytime.

With that, here’s another rendering of the project!

3291 Kingston Road.jpg

Also thanks Northern Light for your insights on some of the landscaping choices - something to look into!

A benefit to this project is its close proximity to the Doris McCarthy Trail. However, the residents association opposing the development view this differently (see Northern Lights October 23, 2020 post to this forum).

Regardless, once the Scarborough Waterfront Project West Segment is complete, Bluffers Park will be a 30 minute walk from Ravine Drive.

This may be more significant than many realize. During summer weekends the parking lots at Bluffers are almost always filled before 11am with vehicles being stopped at Kingston Road. Granted the TTC has service to the park, but many still take their cars, park in the neighbourhood and walk down Brimley to the East beach.

Having a second access point to popular Bluffers Park is a definite plus for those living in the vicinity of the Doris McCarthy Trail.

Doris McCarthy Trail meets the undeveloped shoreline trail. View is looking West to Bluffers Park.

DJI_0056.jpeg

This is the section currently limiting access to Bluffers.
DJI_0060.jpeg

The Scarborough Waterfront Project (images from the TRCA website)
Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.06.44 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.58.46 PM.png

This is a better overall view.
DJI_0055.jpeg

Bluffers Park is a Blue Flag Beach, certified annually by Swim, Drink, Fish to meet strict water quality and safety criteria. .

One of Toronto's most swimmable beaches, Bluffers passes water quality testing more than 95% of the time

Drone shot taken Sunday August 20, 2023. Parking lots were filled and Brimley Road southbound closed at Kingston Road to visitor traffic before noon.

DJI_0117-3.jpeg

First time I've ever read one of these decisions. Interesting.

A couple of quotes that stood out for me:

"It was the evidence that the proposed residential development will contribute to the balance of high quality uses along Kingston Road, which can contribute to reducing dependency on private automobile trips, as well as promoting walking and active transportation to meet daily needs."

"The increased residential population will also support the existing array of retail shops and community services in the area, and will renew and enhance an under-utilized site with new residential uses."

Love it.

The OLT decision here was ratifying a settlement offer made to Council in July '23

The stats for the development are in this file:

It appears we now have a 12th floor by UT standards, although there are no units on said floor there is 'indoor amenity space'.

As there were 7 attachments here, I'll just provide the top link:

Plus the Settlement Offer:

This was the only render included:

1708797118578.png

Back