Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
33 DAVIES AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

Development Applications

Project description:
Zoning by-law Amendment application to facilitate the development of the site for a 20-storey non-residential building having a gross floor area of approximately 18,994.80 square metres. 48 parking spaces will be provided on the lot, located within a below grade parking structure.

This site consists of 33 Davies Ave (a two-storey commercial building) & 39 Davies Ave (a parking lot).

1622182682353.png

1622182890404.png

Quite the anomalous height for this one, when you look at what's around it.

At 20-storey non-residential, which presumably means office.

At a total size of ~204,000ft2; you'd also be looking at 10,000ft2 floor plates which unusually small for a new-build office.

All that, and it will definitely shadow the adjacent park; though only from the west.............

This should be interesting.

One for the ages. Design by BDP Quadrangle:

davi.jpg
davi2.jpg
davi3.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting.

Wooden ceilings?

The design attempts to sell this; and I'm listening.

But I think it's still uphill for this one.

Shadowing of the adjacent park; plus precedent.........

This could put enormous pressure of many of the nearby very cool heritage properties..........not one of which is even 'listed' never mind designated in Heritage Register.

1623846334036.png

This one is a bit un-assuming on the outside, but I really like the vibe inside.

1623846419715.png

1623846647773.png

This site, directly south of the park, certainly does not need protection; on the other hand.........a very tall building here would impinge heavily on sunlight for the park.

1623846729079.png

This could put enormous pressure of many of the nearby very cool heritage properties..........not one of which is even 'listed' never mind designated in Heritage Register.

You're right, and the pressure might already be starting? The building that houses Jam Factory and Merchants of Green Coffee (2 Matilda) has also been recently sold, apparently; Jam Factory is vacating: https://www.blogto.com/music/2021/06/jam-factory-toronto-closing/

This is a hella strikiing proposal, but I do hope we can hang on to the cool, quirky spaces around it (and their cool, quirky tenants).

Docs are up on the city site

Grumble............they've had all the documents since May 27th!

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1624309217634.png

1624309248887.png

Looking at shadowing, I do see some issues, there are portions of the park that would be shadowed for up to 3 hours.

Not the end of the world.........but again, w/this site as precedent.....a potential concern.

I note that in the conceptual block plan massing models they have some interesting 'options'

In neither of these, do they opine on the current parking lot south of the park............

Also .....very low parking........48 spaces

Final note based on everything in the report...............I'm fairly sure there is a client.

This space has a remarkable amount of customization, a lot of high-end choices, in an unusual location.

Just my read (speculation)

The elephant in the room here is that it appears that novel diamond pattern isn't superficial, but a full on exoskeleton.

such an expensive tower outside the core, what are the chances of them dropping the exoskeleton- value engineer.

Back