such an expensive tower outside the core, what are the chances of them dropping the exoskeleton.

IF, as I suspect, this is custom for a client, there is a very good chance of keeping this design.

If it's actually a flyer to see who comes knocking........that's a different issue.

Office development is kind of limited to the central core and specific "core employment areas" like this strip along the DVP. They can't seem to compete with residential for land.

The toddler likes the park there (mostly because of the squirrel and giant acorn statues, though he also likes the climbing structure on the playground), and he would happily give up some late-day sun on it to see this building built.

From the front page:

...it's a beautiful concept. And it should be built!

C4F0542F-06BA-4032-8B68-FF1DAB53F311.jpeg

First Gulf has begun lobbying efforts for this one:

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32055​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

33-39 Davies- Planning and Development

So who's been wondering what happened to this one? Me too.

Well.........this happened: (resubmission and a hair cut)

Arch. Plans - January '23

No fancy renders this time, just basic massing models/sketches

1676999367139.png

1676999441438.png

1676999491884.png

1676999537522.png

History of the discussions between the City and First Gulf:

1676999601640.png

One more model to help illustrate the changes discussed below:

1676999647524.png

1676999690230.png

1676999724018.png

1676999752101.png

1676999773890.png

Comments: Shorter, boxier, clunkier, less interesting design. I'm one to stand behind restricting shadows on parks; but I'm also one to consider which shadow, for how long, and in exchange for what?

Here, I don't feel a good solution was arrived at. This revised proposal is still not supported by the City due to shadowing, AND is a far less attractive design.

I do wonder if the thought of going higher, but marginally trimming the floor plate was given any consideration, as my instinct is that it would have achieved a better outcome, but w/o looking it up, it's possible that would simply have created too small a floor plate to be viable.

This one ends up coming as as a bit of a lose-lose to me.

So who's been wondering what happened to this one? Me too.

Well.........this happened: (resubmission and a hair cut)

Arch. Plans - January '23

No fancy renders this time, just basic massing models/sketches

View attachment 457880

View attachment 457881
View attachment 457882

View attachment 457883

History of the discussions between the City and First Gulf:

View attachment 457884

One more model to help illustrate the changes discussed below:

View attachment 457885

View attachment 457886

View attachment 457887

View attachment 457888
View attachment 457889

Comments: Shorter, boxier, clunkier, less interesting design. I'm one to stand behind restricting shadows on parks; but I'm also one to consider which shadow, for how long, and in exchange for what?

Here, I don't feel a good solution was arrived at. This revised proposal is still not supported by the City due to shadowing, AND is a far less attractive design.

I do wonder if the thought of going higher, but marginally trimming the floor plate was given any consideration, as my instinct is that it would have achieved a better outcome, but w/o looking it up, it's possible that would simply have created too small a floor plate to be viable.

This one ends up coming as as a bit of a lose-lose to me.

Another peaked/slanted roof bites the dust. Shame I was really interested in this one.

Sometimes I wonder what the city would look like if the “best render” (best render being my subjective opinion) of proposed buildings were built.

Back