AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

33 Hillcrest Avenue

Welcome to TAS’s largest project to date. We intend to introduce between 1.5 million and 2 million square feet of mixed-use development at this 5.3-acre site immediately adjacent to the Cooksville GO Station. This significant scale and strategic location present an extraordinary opportunity to test and expand TAS’s mandate to drive positive economic, environmental and social impact.

We are in the early planning stages and beginning an extensive collaborative community-focused design process. A few intriguing concepts are already starting to emerge from our research. First of all, we see huge potential for this site to be an institutional and/or commercial employment hub. From an environmental perspective, we are committed to setting ambitious sustainability targets and expanding ecology through a landscape-first approach. We want to thoughtfully curate commercial offerings that provide all the services, amenities and leisure activities local residents will expect from the “last mile” of their journey home. Finally, we plan to test new governance, funding and partnership structures with a view to generating economic returns that can be reinvested in on-site programs and infrastructure benefitting the local community.

Estimated Construction Start: 2024
Architect: SvN Architects and Planners
Landscape Architect: wHY
Key Stats: TBD during design phase

CPages-from-200916_33-Hillcrest-Concept-Review-Presentation-FINAL-1024x568.jpg

Connecting Cooksville

Located right next to the Cooksville GO station, this 5.3-acre site presents a unique opportunity to create a brand-new neighbourhood that will serve residents and visitors alike for generations to come. We are designing a connected neighbourhood where you’ll want to spend time, and not merely pass through. A unique destination where people will have access to everything they need to live, work, learn and have fun – together. And you’re invited to take part!

We are collaborating closely with local communities to shape design and programming for this project. We’ve partnered with PROCESS on a multi-year engagement plan to learn what’s great about Cooksville today and how we can make it even better in the future. Early conversations have inspired us to start exploring a few big ideas – from community programs that address local priorities and diverse housing typologies that will meet the needs of a growing population, to local economic capacity building opportunities and walkable green public spaces. The size of this project presents a tremendous opportunity to deliver social impact at scale – and we’re committed to doing so in a way that also prioritizes environmental sustainability and future resilience.

We want to work with a broad range of voices and perspectives. Together, we’ll build a neighborhood where people of all backgrounds and experiences can thrive. If you live, work, or play in Cooksville today – or think you might in the future – then this place and process belong to you.

Throughout the summer we’ll be hosting a series of conversations, community drop-ins, focus groups, and surveys. And when it’s safe to do so, we’re really looking forward to getting to know you in person.

33-Hillcrest-Forest-View-800x800.jpg
33HC_33-Hillcrest-Community-Centre-Sectional-Perspective.jpg
33HC_MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

From last weekend. Just a random shot I took (didn't know about this project until today) but it shows about 90 percent of the site.
DJI_0351.JPG

I think this site needs to be subdivided into 2 blocks, the E-W distance of this block is 200M, that's lousy urban scale.

Cut it in 1/2 to 100M.

Nix one tower, if need be; but raise the heights to @Undead worthy levels.

I don't mind an onsite playground here, but I'd rather not see a park of any size, I'd rather see an off-site acquisition towards completing the Cooksville Park ravine system on the other side of Hurontario; from King,
to just north of Dundas, there is a real missing (and/or) undersized link in this system which would benefit the whole area if grown to substantial size.

I think this site needs to be subdivided into 2 blocks, the E-W distance of this block is 200M, that's lousy urban scale.

Cut it in 1/2 to 100M.

Nix one tower, if need be; but raise the heights to @Undead worthy levels.

I don't mind an onsite playground here, but I'd rather not see a park of any size, I'd rather see an off-site acquisition towards completing the Cooksville Park ravine system on the other side of Hurontario; from King,
to just north of Dundas, there is a real missing (and/or) undersized link in this system which would benefit the whole area if grown to substantial size.
To what end? Reading the urban design doc, there is a N-S pedestrian oriented drive midway. I don't see the need for car through traffic.

To what end? Reading the urban design doc, there is a N-S pedestrian oriented drive midway. I don't see the need for car through traffic.

I think it's important that any mid-block division be public property for a start.

POPS are largely a failed idea that run into no end of trouble, including partial or full closures, private security/trespassing issues, poor maintenance etc, as well as sometimes being the subject of future development applications in their own right.

I would also prefer to see more varied urban design, which is more easily achieved by treating developments on one side of a new street as one development and the other a different site (even if retained by the same developer)

My preference is also for more human-scale at street level, (big towers are fine) but there interface w/local streets is often terrible. Placing an additional street mid-block sets up a logical spot for more of a mid-rise or stacked townhome form, which
can surround any towers and offer architectural variety and human scale.

Alternatively, it could be a quaint retail street for the area, lined with patios. Which rarely do well on wide streets with high traffic volumes.

Last edited:

Back