1600954531798.png

1600954560139.png

1600954588901.png

Supporting docs posted:

View attachment 271483
View attachment 271484
View attachment 271485

Immediate notes just from the pictures;

- They are contemplating a TTC entrance inside the building with an up escalator path.

- The lobby area notwithstanding the above seems excessive and street deadening; though it does look nice.

- At first blush, I don't mind the overall look; need to see more, but I am concerned about retail/podium here.

unrelated, but damn, the city finally killed their old dev apps site. A shame, I find the new one a lot more cumbersome. You can search dev apps from the last 30 days still, but can't generate a list sorted by submission date. Makes it far more difficult to keep up on the latest submissions.

Last edited:
From reading the plans:

Only ground level retail is 5,000ft2 facing Bloor.

None facing Spadina.

But 22,982sqft and change in the basement. Appears configured for a single retailer.

Most likely a grocer, but there are some other possibles.

Also features a mid-block connection along the north property line that would facilitate walking btw Walmer and Spadina.

From reading the plans:

None facing Spadina.

But 22,982sqft and change in the basement. Appears configured for a single retailer.

Also features a mid-block connection along the north property line that would facilitate walking btw Walmer and Spadina.
This area is underserved by groceries right now if you ask me, at least for those without a car. Lots of groceries in easy driving /cycling distance, but walking here is more challenging. The grocery stores up on Dupont are just a little to far to be an easy walk. Another grocer would be great. Especially a budget-focused grocer, though this space doesn't really look like that type of space.

Last edited:
From reading the plans:

None facing Spadina.

Curious if Metro would be interested in moving to such a new space here, and therefore open up their current location at Bloor & Robert for redevelopment potential. Otherwise, the area can certainly handle another large grocery store of course.

Curious if Metro would be interested in moving to such a new space here, and therefore open up their current location at Bloor & Robert for redevelopment potential. Otherwise, the area can certainly handle another large grocery store of course.

Would actually be an expansion for them, seeing as the existing store is only 14,000ft2.

Would be in line w/their other downtown locations in terms of size.

Their existing location is ripe for redevelopment.

This area is underserved by groceries right now if you ask me, at least for those without a car. Lots of groceries in easy driving /cycling distance, but walking here is more challenging. The grocery stores up on Dupont are just a little to far to be an easy walk. Another grocer would be great. Especially a budget-focused grocer, though this space doesn't really look like that type of space.

Yeah, despite having steady density throughout the Annex and Harbord Village, the area currently lacks immediate major grocery options. Apart from Loblaws (and Farm Boy in the future) on Dupont, you'd have to either head south to the Independent City Market on College, or various Chinatown/Kensington Market grocers, or east towards the high end stuff in Yorkville.

A budget focused grocer here would also help serve the large student population. Ideally, I'd like to see another grocery store within the Mirvish Village redevelopment as well.

Yeah, despite having steady density throughout the Annex and Harbord Village, the area currently lacks immediate major grocery options. Apart from Loblaws (and Farm Boy in the future) on Dupont, you'd have to either head south to the Independent City Market on College, or various Chinatown/Kensington Market grocers, or east towards the high end stuff in Yorkville.

A budget focused grocer here would also help serve the large student population. Ideally, I'd like to see another grocery store within the Mirvish Village redevelopment as well.

I can't speak for the current iteration of Mirvish vis a vis retail.

But I can say at least one major grocer did have discussions concerning that site.

But that may actually pre-date the current development proposal.

Its was, hmmm, at least 7 years ago.

unrelated, but damn, the city finally killed their old dev apps site. A shame, I find the new one a lot more cumbersome. You can search dev apps from the last 30 days still, but can't generate a list sorted by submission date. Makes it far more difficult to keep up on the latest submissions.
So sad. The City of Toronto had one of the only good application websites in the GTHA and now we have to live with the mediocrity of the 905.

It's hard to tell if the podium is better or worse than the shoppers next door. At least the tower is reasonable at this stage.

This area is underserved by groceries right now if you ask me, at least for those without a car.
Isn’t there a grocery store down the street on Bloor?

Separately, I wonder why no entrance on Spadina - especially if it’s configured as one big store. That seems like a miss in terms of street design/presence, no?

Back