Building homes is great. 20 Storeys at that site is not. And I believe these are being promoted as "Luxury" Condos, very expensive. It's not like it's something that will help the housing shortage in the city.
So more expensive than the single family homes down the street I guess, huh?

So more expensive than the single family homes down the street I guess, huh?
In terms of price vs size, definitely. Thanks for the good point. Also many of those single family homes are actually split into multiple units.

Regardless, I've heard that many neighbours in all directions from this site are planning to fight this very hard. We'll see if it ever ends up actually happening.
I wish you luck in fighting it because you'll need it given that this a high quality development in every way possible. Interesting you previously brought up small children and nap times. You know what else those small children may need? Affordable housing and a city where traffic isn't constantly polluting the air they breathe.

I live at Bloor and Ossington, and I willfully welcome new 10-20 storey developments in my area RIGHT next to a major subway station. In the area of this development, there are 3 major subway stations, and access to 2 different subway lines. Complain it all you want, but the moment you complain about your children not being able to live in the area because of housing prices, or traffic, or pollution, or dying local businesses, remember that your opposition to projects like the one at hand is directly responsible for all of that.

A potentially bright and cheerful tower does not mean a cave, Mr. Sorbara...

...and boy, do I have a lot of elder neighbours that like yelling at clouds. /sigh

Last edited:
Elderly former Ontario Finance Minister doing the "Annex NIMBY" thing during last-night's meeting...

I had a real good laugh just reading this, he of all people is one to talk! I'm assuming he lives in the area?

If so, the developer should shoot to the moon in this case. I mean it's only fair, considering he lined the pockets of Vaughan developers during his time as minister. Why doesnt he contact those same developer buddies to see if they can help him fight this one off? I'm sure they'd have his back...

I had a real good laugh just reading this, he of all people is one to talk! I'm assuming he lives in the area?
He would even be more clueless if he isn't.

...I mean, the "bar is low for running as a politician for a major party even when they're not Conservative" kinda clueless to begin with. >.<

Hey "rickshaw", I mean Greg Sorbara, is that you?

At any rate, yes, @Kenojuak is right: this will most certainly happen, likely at least at the height at which it has been proposed. Anyone with a shred of knowledge of how planning policy is applied in this city -- even before recent provincial policy changes and the most-welcome, now-impending suite of reforms from Mayor Tory -- would have told you that this was going to get approved. If you didn't know that, well then you know less about your neighbourhood than the people you've attacked in this thread for having committed the crime of commenting on the one in which you live. Go figure.

If you don't want shadows, or people, around you, Brockville is nice this time of year.

I think that parachute account has long lost interests in finger wagging at us since those only 3 days in this past August. And good riddance...so try not to summon them again. Thnkx! >.<

I respect the architects for thinking outside the box and attempting to work with the colour and tones of the church, but I think a prototypical aA-ish glass box would respect the grandeur of the church more and make the new development appear to have lower massing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respect the architects for thinking outside the box and attempting to work with the colour and tones of the church, but I think a prototypical aA-ish glass box would respect the grandeur of the church more and make the new development appear to have lower massing.
Er...no. Those are a dime for a dozen now. >.<

For those that think this will get approved as per the application, I doubt it. I believe they will have to show better transitioning to the adjacent low rise residential. I'm not suggesting they won't get the desired height, but the city and impacted neighbours will negotiate better transitions.

For those that think this will get approved as per the application, I doubt it. I believe they will have to show better transitioning to the adjacent low rise residential. I'm not suggesting they won't get the desired height, but the city and impacted neighbours will negotiate better transitions.

This regime is -- thankfully -- starting to die a long overdue death. Tory's Housing Action Plan -- on which Staff are still slated to report back to Council next month -- really kicked what were a handful of ad hoc discussions with sympathetic folks in the Planning Department and moved them into the mainstream (if you will) of discussions with Staff.

All of that still happens on a case-by-case basis, and who your Manager, Director, and councillor are still play big roles, but the days of angular planes being drawn by Staff to and from everywhere they can lay their eyes on are, at long last, behind us.

Back