innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
preliminary concept for the redevelopment of the Mount Albion plaza in suburban Hamilton. This is a very quiet, isolated part of the city right now, so it's an interesting spot for so much intensification.

MountAlbion.jpg

Last edited:
preliminary concept for the redevelopment of the Mount Albion plaza in suburban Hamilton. This is a very quiet, isolated part of the city right now, so it's an interesting spot for so much intensification.

399-Greenhill-Masterplan-Sketch-08252020lk-1322x2048.jpg

That's less a concept than a poorly done freehand drawing on a napkin! LOL

Last edited:
I don't know. I find the freehand drawing to be charming.

à chacun son goût

I'm sure it would look lovely, framed on a wall somewhere...........though, maybe not my place. ;)

Consider this is replacing a plaza, it would be nice to see at least one commercial unit here, even just a cafe spot for facing the interior court yard.
One of the renders shows a space (or spaces) with place-holder signage of "Shopping".

I have to believe they'll have something. This neighborhood is used to having a Shoppers and a convenience store in walkable distance. The closest convenience store in this area is about a 20 minute walk or longer. I'm sure many will appreciate another grocery store in the area - as long as it's not Foodland again.

One of the renders shows a space (or spaces) with place-holder signage of "Shopping".

I have to believe they'll have something. This neighborhood is used to having a Shoppers and a convenience store in walkable distance. The closest convenience store in this area is about a 20 minute walk or longer. I'm sure many will appreciate another grocery store in the area - as long as it's not Foodland again.
I was mistaken, I didn't see the tiny text that mentions retail space. It does have 975m²(10,500ft²).
1000007780.png
1000007779.png

According to the SSP post, this was denied. Gotta love a written letter from someone who lives in a similar height building pulling the ladder up behind them because of the oversupply of housing we're finding ourselves in and lack of commercial space crisis...
1000008146.png

According to the SSP post, this was denied. Gotta love a written letter from someone who lives in a similar height building pulling the ladder up behind them because of the oversupply of housing we're finding ourselves in and lack of commercial space crisis...
View attachment 575776

The retail that's currently there isn't anything to be proud of. A bank, Shoppers, pizza place, cleaners, laundromat, hair salon, convenience store and dental center. Grocery stores keep failing there (ie. Delessio's and Foodland). And the new proposal provides space for retail anyways. And what keeps retailers open? Higher density in the area.

The retail that's currently there isn't anything to be proud of. A bank, Shoppers, pizza place, cleaners, laundromat, hair salon, convenience store and dental center. Grocery stores keep failing there (ie. Delessio's and Foodland). And the new proposal provides space for retail anyways. And what keeps retailers open? Higher density in the area.
I mean, a lot of that is essentials that offer walking distance amenities.

From Google Maps:
- Shoppers offers prescriptions, basic food supplies
- Dentist
- Laundromat
- Drycleaner
- Bank
- Variety store
- Bar, food and meeting place

They're nothing beautiful, but they're essentials that allow people in the surrounding neighbourhoods to be able to walk and get essential needs. So I get the concern, but I hope they get some back. The biggest thing they should be pushing for is more retail space, which I'd argue is probably too small. Biggest reason for that is the city's huge amenity requirements.

The city could allow this development with additional retail space, and some public access community space like a pool, or gymnasium for the community to benefit from. This is how you get buy-in from neighbours.

Back